cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox exporting via archve360 during exchange archiving task schedule

Swipe
Level 3

Hello,

We currently have 2 EV servers which archive 9000 mailboxes nightly from 2 exchange servers. We also have a project to disable archiving and export out appoximately 900 of these mailboxes from EV to Office 365 using a third party product called Archive360. This will be driven from a standalone server which hooks into the EV SQL database instance and then extracts the from the vaultstores (located on a Netapp filer) over the internet out to Office365.

Due to Internet bandwidth constraints, during the daytime this export to Office 365 will need to be done out of hours. However, the nightly mail archiving also takes place out of hours. I have raised concerns that this might not be such a great idea if the two schedules clash as it may have an impact on the EV databases if it tries to do too much at once and impact our nightly exchange archiving.

I just wondered what the forum members thoughts are be on this. I've been asked to provide evidence of my concerns. Am I being over cautious or would exporting at the same time as archiving be an absolute no go?

Thanks

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Paul,

I assume you have disabled those 900 users for archiving? It would not be a good idea to archive the same mailbox your trying to export.

In general, exporting is read on sql, and read on storage. If you do not use cab-files, it probably depends on the performance of the netapp. exporting is reading, so you generate additional iops to the netapp and sql during your archiving run when exporting too. I would not want this, but it might be possible.

Is it possible to skip archiving for a night or two? that way you can get a baseline for the exporting. Then only do a night of archiving (baseline 2), then do both. That will get you the pro/con you need.

Or, change the archiving schedule to be as tight as possible, and run the export after the archiving schedule ends?

What you might need to mention is that yu cannot expect to finish an export for archives in a few days, as it has (most likely) taken years to fill them. Large archives take time to be migrated.

I am interested to hear your findings, please keep us updated.

Regards,

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Paul,

I assume you have disabled those 900 users for archiving? It would not be a good idea to archive the same mailbox your trying to export.

In general, exporting is read on sql, and read on storage. If you do not use cab-files, it probably depends on the performance of the netapp. exporting is reading, so you generate additional iops to the netapp and sql during your archiving run when exporting too. I would not want this, but it might be possible.

Is it possible to skip archiving for a night or two? that way you can get a baseline for the exporting. Then only do a night of archiving (baseline 2), then do both. That will get you the pro/con you need.

Or, change the archiving schedule to be as tight as possible, and run the export after the archiving schedule ends?

What you might need to mention is that yu cannot expect to finish an export for archives in a few days, as it has (most likely) taken years to fill them. Large archives take time to be migrated.

I am interested to hear your findings, please keep us updated.

Regards,

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

Swipe
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestions. In the end a decision has been made to export to PST files which can be done during the day and then transferred to portable disk so the destination company can import into their office 365.