cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox quota Archving

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   

Hello,
I just  a question from my support group. When he user is leaving its mailbox is still active for 6 months but with a flag "only you can send mail to yourself : in order words only able to receive from yourself ".

I would like to know if the mailbox will then still be archived.

In other words, what counts for the archiving processes ? send and/or receive quota ?

Thank you for your help

Sandrine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   

Hi Gertjan,

Once again thank you

BUT I don't know what they do it is some case this is not just for the leavers ( in which case due to our procedures it is ok for me).

But the question is answered as last night I could finally test it and yes the items were archived

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Sandrine,

If I understand correct, the mailbox stays online, but can only send to itself. 

As long as the mailbox is available, and enabled for archiving, it will be archived PROVIDED your archiving policy allows that. In general, user mailboxes who are for levers, should get a leavers policy, which archives everything in the mailbox, and removes the shortcuts. As example, if you use quota-based archiving, it is likely this mailbox will never empty, because it remains under quota. If you do age based (older than 2 months as example) the mailbox should be (close to) empty in 2 months.

If you set that 'only mail to your self', that does not affect archiving. 

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

The quota is used depending on what is the most restrictive quota you have implemented, exchange wise.

Prohibit send/receive> prohibit send >warning

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   

Hi Gertjan

Thank you for your answer.

The mailbox is set to only receive mail from yourself, they can send to god and the world.

Honnestly I can't really tell you when and why they set a mailbox "only receive mails from yourself"....

I just wanted to make sure this doesn't influence the archiving of the mailbox

Sandrine

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   

Thank you for your answer even if I don't really see what you mean with this.

In exchange they all have those 3 quotas and in the normal order : warning, receive, send and receive.

I wanted to know which one as to be reached in order for the archiving to don't be able to archive.

Right now they are playing around with the mailboxes and I want to be able to say if they are archived or not

Sandrine

GertjanA

Hello Sandrine,

The quota based archiving is 'most important first'.

Send/Receive first, then Send, then Receive quota. If send/receive is set to 50MB, QBA will be done based on that. 

See https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100025202

Having the setting "send to self only" will not/should not affect archiving

Regards. Gertjan

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   

Thank you again Gertjan,

There is the detail I have a time based archiving and NOT a quota based one.But our Provisioning team had the glorious idea to play with " receive from self only"to handle some mailboxes and now I need to know what happens to those mailboxes. I will try with some test mailboxes to be totally sure.

You just put the finger on the point

"Having the setting "send to self only" will not/should not affect archiving" I have to make sure it is not should.

Regards

Sandrine

GertjanA

Hi Sandrine,

Understand. So, if you use 'age based' archiving, and this setting is done on mailboxes of leavers, why not create a plocy for leavers exclusively? 

Create the policy to archive everything older than 0 days, do not create shortcuts, remove shortcuts older than 1 day. Assign this to a Provisioning Group which is based on the denominator for the leavers (like an AD group/DL, AD container), and make sure to make this PG highest priority.

If I recall correct from the time where I did have user mbx archiving, as long as the mailboxquota is not passed, EV can archive.

Regards. Gertjan

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   

Hi Gertjan,

Once again thank you

BUT I don't know what they do it is some case this is not just for the leavers ( in which case due to our procedures it is ok for me).

But the question is answered as last night I could finally test it and yes the items were archived