cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Retention Folders and Expiry

JLSully981
Level 2

Hello All,

I have a quick question and I am new to EV so please bare with me.  Currently our organization has a default retention policy for all messages that retains forever and Expiry is disabled.  Exchange 2007 Managed Custom Folders have been deployed and have synchronized with EV.  My question is, if the managed folder has a retention of 2 years and a user moves a non-archived message (older then two years) from a PST into this managed folder and is then archived by EV, will the message be deleted or will the default retention policy apply?

Thanks.

JS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

With Expiry disabled, nothing would happen to it, whether its retention was set to 2 days or 2 years.
But in this circumstance what will happen is when EV archives the message it will take the retention of the Exchange Managed folder, if its not a managed folder it will either take the default retention of your archive, or if EVPM has run against it or whether a user changed the default retention, it will take that retention.

and then when expiry runs, if the retention is 2 years, it will delete it when expiry runs either 2 years after its been archived (Expiry by archived date) or 2 years after it was Sent/Received (Expiry by modified date)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

With Expiry disabled, nothing would happen to it, whether its retention was set to 2 days or 2 years.
But in this circumstance what will happen is when EV archives the message it will take the retention of the Exchange Managed folder, if its not a managed folder it will either take the default retention of your archive, or if EVPM has run against it or whether a user changed the default retention, it will take that retention.

and then when expiry runs, if the retention is 2 years, it will delete it when expiry runs either 2 years after its been archived (Expiry by archived date) or 2 years after it was Sent/Received (Expiry by modified date)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146