cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Management during EV backup

Vikes_2
Level 6

Hello,

I think I know the answer but want to get confirmation on this. I am trying to add a new FSA  file server as a target and get the following error while attempting to create the volume:

Failed to save or update details for volume "Home"

Could not add the volume to the list of managed resources.

Class not registered

We have 3 EV servers all running EV 2007 SP5, at this time the server to which I am attempting to add this target is not being backed up but the directory server is. I am thinking that there might be a limitation in adding targets while the directory server is backing up, but would like to confirm this as I have not seen this before.

Thanks!

Travis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vikes_2
Level 6

Ok, worked with support and found a solution. In digging we found that EV checks all EV servers for a proper FSA license when adding targets. So back when the system was originally installed and when EV was installed on the DA server they configured it which added it to the list of EV servers. It is common practice to have EV services disabled on the DA server and only run the Accelerator manager service, which we did. But since the server had been configured as an EV server it was being pinged for license confirmation but the directory could not see it because the admin service was stopped. So we started the EV admin service on the DA server and all is good now, I am not sure what triggered this as we have had the system set up like this for 2 years and this is the first time we have had an issue??  

Travis

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

just as a matter of interest, the server you are targeting, does it have XML 3.0 installed on that machine?
It could also be because of an older EV FSA Agent install that doesn't include the File Blocking piece

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Vikes_2
Level 6

Hey JW2,

I will have to check on the XML 3.0. I do know that the FSA Agent is the current version. But another development, the backup has finished and I still get the same error so I will open a case and will update this thread in case anyone else runs into this.

Thanks,

Travis

Vikes_2
Level 6

Ok, worked with support and found a solution. In digging we found that EV checks all EV servers for a proper FSA license when adding targets. So back when the system was originally installed and when EV was installed on the DA server they configured it which added it to the list of EV servers. It is common practice to have EV services disabled on the DA server and only run the Accelerator manager service, which we did. But since the server had been configured as an EV server it was being pinged for license confirmation but the directory could not see it because the admin service was stopped. So we started the EV admin service on the DA server and all is good now, I am not sure what triggered this as we have had the system set up like this for 2 years and this is the first time we have had an issue??  

Travis