cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually scan one server for PST in addition to PST Locator.

Mikeydee135
Level 4

I have configured PST Locator to trawl our network for psts, currently only looking at servers this is taking a very long time.... our staff generate a lot of data and our file sservers hold TB after TB of small files, naturally searching same for the PST files which are being found in the most random of random places is firstly important and secondly VERY slow. our users appear to have also have archived vast amounts of PST data and, given quotas on their personal folders have found all sorts of nooks and crannys to hide their files.

what i have noticed is that the shared location which holds our user's profiles has found a huge volume of PST  which have been migrated and deleted. using file searching tools on this volume i have noticed that there many more PST remaining as yet undetected by EV. the tools have run using the same credentials as the locator is running under, my own admin account, in fact i can browse at least some of the locations specifically with the same account so can at the very least locate them if not open them. I therefore assume that something interupted the scan of this server for which a disk scan is reporting as last completed 27/10/11 and that the next run through should, at least in theory, pick up the remaining PST files.

there is an interval configured of 1 day between searches. but for many days i've been waiting for this server to be scanned again, many haven't yet been scanned and the locator task is running 24/7

i don't want to stop the task, deselect the other servers and restart the task, this will, i assume, cause the locator to start the scan of all machines from the very beginning again. i would, however like to find a way of manually telling EV to scan one whole machine (or better still one specific share) as a one off task without interupting the slow but hopefully steady progress of the existing locator task.

I should possibly explain that i *could* wait for it to eventually come around to this location again and grab the files then, ther eis no reason ot believe this wouldnt work. there is however an urgent requirement for space to be freed up on this box and migrating with the wizzard is likley to take a very long time so i'd rather locate them and perform a server side migration which has, thus far been working perfectly!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible with the built-in tools without stopping the scans.

Depending on your amount of PST Files, we might have a solution for you with our Product "PST Flightdeck". Have a look here if you are interested:

http://www.evtools.net/products/pst-flightdeck

We are able to scan very big fileservers in little time, doing multiple servers at a time and all that stuff.
We would probably be able to supply you with a test-scanner, if you want to verify.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible with the built-in tools without stopping the scans.

Depending on your amount of PST Files, we might have a solution for you with our Product "PST Flightdeck". Have a look here if you are interested:

http://www.evtools.net/products/pst-flightdeck

We are able to scan very big fileservers in little time, doing multiple servers at a time and all that stuff.
We would probably be able to supply you with a test-scanner, if you want to verify.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Michel is right, you can't tell the locator to go and scan a particular server, unfortunately.

Maybe one option to consider is to stopping the task, making sure all the 'computer' objects are set to not scan, and then pick the 1-2-3 file servers to target, and start the scan on those (by starting the task again)

Working for cloudficient.com