cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapi issues due to restore requests of mailboxes migrated to O365

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi everyone, 

a customer recently migrated around about 3000 mailboxes to O365 without preparing / changing anything in EV. This means every migrated mailbox / user still does have the restore button available in Outlook. It seems that a lot of these user are trying to use this to restore archived items which - of course - results in an error as the mailbox cannot longer be accessed by EV. EV however tries to process these requests again and again without abandoning them which ultimately results in a high mapi usage and failing mailbox archiving tasks. 

Any idea what we can do here? purging the relevant "r" msmqs does not have any impact. We improved the situation by recreating new archiving tasks (new msmsq were created) after which the errors were gone and EV worked properly for some time. However users tried to restore archived items shortly after this which results in the same situation. 

Is there a way to let EV abandon these request after some unsuccessfull tries? 

EV 11.0.1 CHF5 and therefore not possible to involve Veritas. 

Thanks

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marcde

Hi all,

the customer regurlarly purges the relevant msmq and we made sure that with the next batch migrated users are getting a provisioning group where except of the EVS all buttons are disabled. Users already migrated have been informed to not use the funcionality. 

Unfortunately I did not find a better solution but this way we at least avoid that more users are able to create this issue.

In long term every shortcut of migrated users will be replaced by the original item using a third party migration utility.

Thanks for the ideas.

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When you purged the queue did you also purge the Admin queues?  You should also check the The Transactional Dead Letter Queues in the System Queues section.

The main thing you will need to do is to communciate to the end-users to not attempt to restore items via the buttons.  :)

Marcde

Hi Tony,

there is nothing in the admin queues after purging the r2 queues. Didn't know about the other queues that you mentioned so just took a look but they are empty before purging as well as after purging. 

I am just curious about where these requests are coming from after purging them out of the queue. Checking the iis logs didn't show any new restore requests from any of these users so I believe they are still the same requests.

It might be that we found a way to improve the situation as the errors seem to stay away when we purge the queues directly after restarting all services - so far the errors are gone and I hope they stay away until we restart the services once again. Will update when we do have anything new. 

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Marc,

I had assumed you had the Task/Services stopped while you did the purge.  Most likely that is what helped.

TS

Marcde

Hi all,

the customer regurlarly purges the relevant msmq and we made sure that with the next batch migrated users are getting a provisioning group where except of the EVS all buttons are disabled. Users already migrated have been informed to not use the funcionality. 

Unfortunately I did not find a better solution but this way we at least avoid that more users are able to create this issue.

In long term every shortcut of migrated users will be replaced by the original item using a third party migration utility.

Thanks for the ideas.

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de