cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass recall files and directories from the VaultStore with FSAUtil ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi All,

I'm using EV 9.0.4R1, so I wonder if anyone here can share Powershell or DOS batch script or any tips in recalling bulk millions of files in a deep folder structures reliably using the FSAUtility.exe ? (perhaps combining Robocopy with FSAUtility.exe)

My goal is to export more than one thousands archived user home directory contents from the EV VaultStore into the new drive (GPT file system drive) ?

FYI: there are 1850 users in total of 8 TB+ archived contents in EV, this will be a once off operation so getting very expensive 3rd party application was not approved by the project manager.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

plaudone
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

You can use the -b switch with FSAUtility to recall items within a folder structure on the file server, but this may not be as robust as you need it to be.

Are you moving the vault store data to new disk or the user data?  If user data can you perform backup and restore of that data to the new drive.  If it is going to use the same share name then that would be the quickest solution to move the data.  This is if the target in EV is set to the share and not the hidden drive share.  

We do have a powershell script that can also be used to perform this operation and I can provide that if needed.  

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

So for the user directories, how did you target them?
Is it like

Target -> P:\Home
P:\Home\User Directories\User1\
P:\Home\User Directories\User2\
P:\Home\User Directories\User3\ 

If thats the case you can just run an FSAUtility bulk restore at P:\Home\User Directories\ and should restore everything from all the subfolders, but i think if you target P\Home\User Directories\ then you'd have to specified \User1\ \User2\ \User3\ etc individually

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi Jesus,

The user directories from the file server point of view is as follows:

S:\homes\user1
S:\homes\user2
S:\homes\user3
S:\homes\userN

SO I guess yes I will have to loop through per user folders one by one until it is finished.

I have increased the Recall Limit into 99 and the Time Interval into 1 from the registry manually to ensure that I can dump everything from the vault safely and reliably.

Sortid
Level 6

I used to use Robocopy - that would grab all files archived or not.  Just needed to set the reg keys to allow robocopy to recall files and set the limits as you described.  Only thing we had to keep an eye on was the impact of collections expanding on the partitions. 

John_Santana
Level 6
Sortid, if possible, can you please share the script here for the benefits of all :) ?

plaudone
Level 5

You can use the -b switch with FSAUtility to recall items within a folder structure on the file server, but this may not be as robust as you need it to be.

Are you moving the vault store data to new disk or the user data?  If user data can you perform backup and restore of that data to the new drive.  If it is going to use the same share name then that would be the quickest solution to move the data.  This is if the target in EV is set to the share and not the hidden drive share.  

We do have a powershell script that can also be used to perform this operation and I can provide that if needed.  

John_Santana
Level 6

Plaudone,

Yes please, that'd be handy if you can provide me here or through PM.

I'm trying to dump all of the FSA data into the file server and then set the expiry on the archived item to reclaim the disk space.

plaudone
Level 5

John...I sent you some information on this issue. 

John_Santana
Level 6

Cool, thanks man !

and yes thank you to all of the participants in this thread, it is a good thing to know that with Robocopy the EV files can also be recalled from the vault.

plaudone
Level 5

One comment on Robocopy is that at times we have seen it not wait for the data to be recalled before moving files and this can cause issues on the destination with incomplete data.  

John_Santana
Level 6

Yes, you are right Patrick, sometimes when the file is quite big, the restored file could be corrupted.