cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Office Outlook Can't open this item

banana_john
Level 4

Outlook 2003, EV 8.0.4

We have one user who can't open items from the EV shortcuts in her mailbox.

Outlook comes up with a dialogue box:
"Microsoft Office Outlook
"Can't open this item."

She can open the items in Archive Explorer.

She has tried on a couple of PCs: same thing happens.

We have tried a new Outlook profile, new Windows profile, resetEVclient: same thing happens.

I've had a look at sample item properties: looks OK to me.

Compared client log with a known good one: nothing leaps out at me.

I had a look at the permissions on the vault (even though she can open the items in Archive Explorer).

There was an ACE for her old user object in the domain we migrated from.  Got rid of that from the mailbox, got her to try again after a few days: same thing happens.

Running out of things to try.  Any ideas?

If more information would be helpful, please let us know.

Thanks for reading this.

- John

10 REPLIES 10

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When the user tries to open the shortcut in Outlook there should be a grey bar.  When you click that what is the error?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i was going to suggest using the EV9.05 client but sounds like you ruled out a lot by trying muliple computers. at this point you can try zapping her mailbox and then re-enabling it.

How to remove (zap) Enterprise Vault (EV) properties from Archive-Enabled Exchange mailboxes

Article:TECH35614  |  Created: 2010-01-03  |  Updated: 2014-08-05  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35614

banana_john
Level 4

AndrewB, I tried the zap: the user is getting the same error.

Tony, the grey bar you mention: is this the one in the Reading Pane/Preview Pane, that says something like "This message has been archived. View the original item"?

Thanks again

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you can enable logging on the EV client, try to open an item, and then review the logs for errors or post them here too.

TonySterling

No, that is the banner.  What I am talking about is when you double click the shortcut.

BTW, what happens when you click the link in the banner?

As Andy said, you can run a client trace:

How to perform a client trace for Enterprise Vault (EV) within Outlook

Article:TECH38096  |  Created: 2010-01-23  |  Updated: 2014-02-27  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38096

banana_john
Level 4

When you double-click the shortcut, Outlook comes up with a dialogue box:
"Microsoft Office Outlook
"Can't open this item."

See attachment "469256 can't open this item.png"

Also attached EV client log - I had a good look at this but I'm afraid I'm none the wiser.

Link in banner: I've asked the user who is having the problem but it may be a while till she gets back to me.

Thanks again

TonySterling

From what I can tell the request to open the archived items isn't even making it to the EV Server.

Ok, a few more questions:

Are the shortcuts in her mailbox or a pst?

It is all items or just a few?

What happens if she tries to forward or reply to an email, without opening it?  See if she gets this message: "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook"

What kind of Anti-virus is on the workstation?

Lastly, if the user logs into a different machine does it work as expected?

banana_john
Level 4

The shortcuts are in the mailbox.

We haven't waded through all of them, but any we've tried to open, we get the same result.

The anti-virus should be Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.4013.4013 (can't check at the moment: PCs off and not accessible).

Similarly with the forward/reply without opening the message, can't check at the moment, the user is off.

We have tried on a couple of PCs with the same results.

Thanks again.

banana_john
Level 4

Found another user with the same issue to try:

Forward/reply without opening the message, brings up forward/reply with the message in it ready for editing and forwarding/replying

Link in banner: works (brings up archived item in IE window)

Thanks again

- John

banana_john
Level 4

... and second user confirms AV is Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.4013.4013