cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Outlook 2010 and EV HTTP-Only Outlook add-in

r2thekelly
Level 2

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade our machines from Outlook 2003 with EV client 8.0.9905 to Outlook 2010 with the new EV HTTP-Only Outlook add-in (9.0.5134).  I need to do this silently and all in one install.  I have manged to upgrade both, removing Outlook 2003, but running the install of EV over the top of the old one.  All seems to work ok, but when you try to manually archive items, I get "You cannot archive items from this location".

I have read other forum entries that say you need to remove outlook 2003, load outlook 2010, open it, the install the new version of EV, but I need to upgrade the process in one go.

I can't also remove and reinstall 9.0.5134 to get the issue resolved.  I have to recreate the outlook profile.

Help!

11 REPLIES 11

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

During your steps, did you uninstall the old EV Add-in?

After the install of the EV 9.0.1 addin a reboot is needed, does that get done?

Working for cloudficient.com

r2thekelly
Level 2

I originally had this packaged, but also installed manually to test.

In the manual test I have uninstalled the old version of outlook and EV and installed the new version of EV and outlook and then rebooted.

For my packaged version the old version of outlook gets uninstalled, then the new outlook is installed, and then finally the EV client is upgraded.  This isn't uninstalled, but just run over the old version.  The client is then rebooted.

The only difference between the manual process and the packaged process is the install of EV is upgraded via the package not uninstalled then reinstalled.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So doing it manually works?

"Upgrading" it as you describes doesn't?

There is a long standing bug that if you have at one point had an EV 6 client installed, and you switch between DCOM and HTTP clients (the 9.0.1 client for Outlook is HTTP) then you can get the error message you referred to.. That's on upgrading from 6 to 7 to 8, etc.

r2thekelly
Level 2

No, we can't even get it working manually.

Just to make 100 % sure, yesterday I uninstalled outlook 2003 and the EV Client 8.0.9905.  I then rebooted the machine.  Next I installed Outlook 2010, rebooted and finally installed EV 9.0.1.  I rebooted for the final time, opened outlook and I still get the same error when manually archiving items.

We have only ever had EV 8.0, so would we expect the same error message going from that version to 9.0.1?

What will be the fix for this?  We can't afford to give people new profiles when they first log on to Outlook 2010.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay..  so what version of Outlook do you have on the Enterprise Vault Server.

Can you grab :-

a) Screenshot of your Enterprise Vault client folder (showing the files)

b) A client trace with max logging enabled

c) A DTRACE of archivetask, and w3wp

RnmiS
Level 2

On our EV server recently upgraded from 8.0.5 to 9.0.1, we upgraded from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007. When logged in as the service account (which has Exchange access to all mailboxes and EV access to all vaults), we get "You cannot archive items from this location." when attempting to vault and "You cannot restore items to this location. If your are trying to restore from a shortcut, copy or move it to your mailbox and then restore." when attempting to unvault. The EV client is 9.0.1.1073.0.dcom - I would swear I had run the HTTP client install but am reluctant to do so because...

My desktop Outlook EV client is 9.0.1.1038.0.http

When trying to vault or restore to someone else's (not mine) Exchange 2007 mailbox item we get the same messages as listed above.

When trying to vault to my Exchange 2010 mailbox, the in-process vault icon appears, a second copy of the message then appears in the folder, the disappears, the icon then returns to the normal Outlook icon giving the illusion the item was not vaulted. HOWEVER, an examination of my vault shows the message has indeed been vaulted. Of course, when trying to unvault this item without the vault icon, I get "Unable to restore because you have not selected any archive items. Select at least one archived item and try again."

I have deleted all Outlook profiles to no effect.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Please start your question in a new forum post..  Also, are you saying you installed the EV Outlook Add-in on the EV Server?  Why?

With regards to the archiving in the last paragraph... have you had a look at the same mailbox with the full client?  Check the properties of the folder you are looking at ...  does it have "Do not archive" set in the Enterprise Vault tab?

Sansyl
Level 3

Hi all,

Happy New year.

I have the same problem as Rnmis but with Outlook 2003 SP3 and EV client 9.0.1, I can archive and restore items of user mailbox 2010.

With Outlook 2010 and EV 9.0.1, I can not.

The EV has just migrated from 9 to 9 SP1.

Any idea?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Please start a new forum thread for the issue... and in addition to that explain how you got Outlook 2010 with the 9.0.1 client...  was it a clean install, or an upgrade?  If upgrade, what was upgraded in which order?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Rob,

If this is a known bug, do you happen to know how to resolve it?

I believe we have the issue here (upgraded from 6 to 7 to 7.5 yo 8 to 9 on desktops), and need to fix this.

Thanks.

Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So, I couldn't reproduce the issue of upgrading from 6 to 7 to 2007 to 8 (all DCOM) to 9.0.1 HTTP.

Resolution: I would suggest uninstall 8, then install 9.0.1 HTTP

If you're getting the error "You cannot archive items from this location" after using the 9.0.1 HTTP client, you might be encountering another bug.  If you start a new forum post...  we can discuss it :)