Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate EVault 11 to new Hardware. Questions

Thomas_L_
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

i have to move an EVault 11 Server for an Customer to new Hardware. The Server is actual a hardware Server. Enterrpise Vault Version 11. The new Server is a virtuell Server on Hyper-V. SQL Server is different not on EVault.

The new Server is installed. Same OS, same Diskdrives and Letter. I found an Guide on Symantec: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55377

A few question for Understanding. Hope someone have also same migration as me.

Is ist possible to copy the Content of EVault (Storage Files and Index) one or to Days befor start Migration ? Because that a lot on Data and the idea is to make first copy one or two days befor and a diff on migration day?

The Guide say its optimal same Servername. OK no prop. But i can´t have the same Server two times in AD. My Idea: Give Server the same name and let it on Workgruop. After copy all Data and Regkeys cut off Network, Reset ComputerAccount an bring new Server to Domain?

Hope someon can help or giv me info.

Thanks all Thomas

7 REPLIES 7

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Thomas,

Does the business require to keep the same computername?

If yes, then your steps probably will work, not sure. you might want to test that first in a testlab.

If the name can be different, I would first copy the data. (without having EV installed). Below assumes you do have an alias for the old server (EVSRV001)

When it is copied (and provided you use same driveletters/paths etc) create an alias for this server (like EVSRV002), install EV, add it to the EXISTING EV site as 2nd server. (use configure EV, use existing directory)

When that is ok, set backup mode on indexes and stores, then shutdown EV-services on both. Perform the final sync of the data. Change the DNSALIASSES so EVSRV002 points to the old server, and EVSRV001 points to the new server. verify on both that ping of alias returns the correct servername. Start EV admin and Directory service on both servers. In EV, perform the Update Service Location. (login with VSA, rightclick Enterprise Vault servers in console, select Update Service Locations). When done, restart services on both.

Start all EV-services on new server, verify new server has services added, and tasks etc. Verify eventlog, should have no errors on storage, indexlocations etc. When ok, test with client to open search, archive explorer, retrieve items. When ok, clear backup mode, try archiving. When ok, remove old server from EV, when ok, decommision.

Regards. Gertjan

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You should be able to use the Data-Only Recovery procedure in the administrators guide to solve this, which is more or less the same as the guide you posted.

The only difference is the copy of files if the storage locations are changed in this move and you can't do a simple export/import of the volumes.

In that case the "usual" method is to use e.g. robocopy to start copying the content from the vault store partitions and index to the new volumes. The same paths are prefered, otherwise you need to change entries in the directory database.

When the move is to take place, stop all services, do a final sync via e.g. robocopy and then continue with the data only recovery procedure.

So yes you can start doing the initial/bulk copy while you continue using EV but before actually moving it to the new server you need to do a final synch.

Thomas_L_
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello GertjanaA

no its not required. I only see in in guide that it will be better. But you right. I work with Alias Name. So i think your Plan sounds good. Have you do this in Produktiv somtime ?

GertjanA

Hello Thomas,

Yes, I have done this a few times. Without issues. It is however very important to use the same folder-structure on the new server as you have on the old server (in regards to the index and storage locations). Otherwise, as FreKac2 indicates, you need to edit SQL to reflect the new locations. there are kb-articles on that. Easiest will be to have same folder structure!!

when that is ok, the only limit you will have is how fast you can get your data in sync.

the last move like this, an environment which had 2 prod, 2 dr servers, and 16TB data, and about 2TB indexes.

I added the 2 new prod servers, and the 2 new dr servers, configured locations equally. I then used robocopy to copy all data (prod to prod and dr to dr). When that was in sync, I set the tasks in report-mode, and ev in backup mode. (indexes and stores). I then ran the final sync, and then a 'check sync' to make 150% sure I had all data in the correct places.

I then switched the aliasses as described above, and kept all 8 servers running for 2 days. when there were no issues, I removed the 4 'old' servers from the site, and transfer complete :)

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

Thomas_L_
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Must i export the RegKey and copy to new Server "like the Guide" with your Methode.

Thomas_L_
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hello GertJanA, must i configure on the New Server an Index and Storage? I have install a new Server at this Moment. Start Wizard an add it to existing Site. All OK. The Question ? Must i configure an Index and Storage on new Server? i think no or? Only bring old Server to BackupMode, disable EV Services on both Server, Copy Data, change Alias, Move services. Right ? Thanks Thomas

GertjanA

Hello Thomas,

You do not need to configure storage and indexing services, but you do need to copy the data.

The steps you describe:

Only bring old Server to BackupMode, disable EV Services on both Server, Copy Data, change Alias, Move services.

I would do:

Set backup mode on site for indexes and storage.

Copy data, make sure it is in sync.

When in sync, stop-ev services.

Change DNS aliasses. Verify that it is replicated and known to the 2 EV-servers before continuing. (ping both aliasses from both servers, to make sure they are 'switched'. if necessary, perform an ipconfig /flushdns to speed up)

When changed, start Admin and directory service on NEW server, and Admin service on OLD server. Open Console, right click Enterprise Vault servers, select Update Service Location. Wait for that to finish. Make sure to do a 'refresh' in the services.msc. start EV services on NEW server. That will create msmq's. services, tasks etc.

Verify OLD server, should only have admin/directory and taskcontroller service. When ok, decommision old server.

done.

Regards. Gertjan