cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 server to Enterprise Vault 12.1 Cluster

Amgad
Level 3

We have one server running EV 10.0.4 and SQL 2008 on the same server and we are planing to migrate to EV 12.1 on windows cluster and move databases to clustered SQL

Can we direct migrate using Enterprise Vault Server Settings Migration wizard or we have to upgrade first to EV 11?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

You will need to ensure to run the upgrader after going to 11.0.1 and verify all is working as expected.  

SQL will have to be moved to a supported version prior to going to 12 so that 12 can connect. Currently EV 10,11,12 all support up to SQL 2012.  EV 12 support going to SQL 2016.  

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to go to 11 first, as you need to perform some database upgrades as far as I know.

The server migration wizard only allows migrating from 11 to 12.0, not 12.1

Regards. Gertjan

Thank you GertjanA

So should go to 11 first or there is other option to upgrade direct to 12.1 without the migration wizard?

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi, You will need to upgrade to 11.0.1 first and run the EVDatabaseUpgrader to upgrade the DB's.  Once on 11.0.1 you can use the SSMW to go to 12.0 on a 2012 server.  At that point you can upgrade to 12.1 on that server and be at the latest version.  

plaudone1 you mean I have to go to 11.0.1 first and no way to move direct to 12.1 even without using SSMW 

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Yes, the databases need to be upgraded as there are changes made from 10.0.4 to 11.0.1.  The SSMW does not perform DB upgrades...It only moves the server data.  

Regards,

Patrick 

so I can go like this and correct me if i'm wrong

1- Upgrade the old EV to 11.0.1

2- Install new EV 12 on Cluster without running the configuration wizard

3- Run SSMW on old EV server to export settings

4- Copy the old EV server data to the new cluste storage with same drive letters

5- Run SSMW on new EV server to import settings

6- Update the EV on cluster to EV 12.1

7- Migrate the Old SQL databases to new SQL server

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

You will need to ensure to run the upgrader after going to 11.0.1 and verify all is working as expected.  

SQL will have to be moved to a supported version prior to going to 12 so that 12 can connect. Currently EV 10,11,12 all support up to SQL 2012.  EV 12 support going to SQL 2016.  

what version of Windows you are currently on, I assume Windows 2008 R2?

In this case, you will need Windows 2012 for new EV 12 before you run the SSMW.

Let us know what strategy did you follow, and if you have developed a migration document?

Hi all.

We plan to migrate our EV10.0.4 server to EV12.3

Steps to follow following your advices:

1.Backup SQL on our EV10.0.4 (SRV-A)
2.Update EV10.0.4 to EV11.0.1(SRV-A)
3.Upgrade DB's with EVDatabaseUpgrader
4.Check everything works fine (SRV-A)
5.Install new server W2K12R2 (W2K16 unsupported) (SRV-B)
6.Install EV12.3 on the W2K12R2 (SRV-B)
7.Run SSMW on SRV-A to export settings
8.Copy datas from SRV-A to SRV-B

=> I have some interrogation about this.
A- Can I copy datas from paths SRV-A to path SRV-B (same name or different name for the paths letters) ?
B- Can I move paths from SRV-A to SRV-B? 

9.Move DB's SQL to SQL 2016
10.Run SSMW on SRV-B to import settings

Thanks for your advices.