cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Enterprise Vault 8 to Exchange 2010 Archiving

LTNelson
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Is there a way to migrate EV 8 directly into Exchange 2010 archiving?  If there is, will you provide guidance on the process?  The customer used EV8 briefly to archive but found that it did not meet their needs.  They would like to move that existing EV archive to Exchange 2010 (on-premise) for their future archiving needs.

Todd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6

just restore the items back to the mailbox and then have exchange archiving pick up, that would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JesusWept3
Level 6

just restore the items back to the mailbox and then have exchange archiving pick up, that would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can also export the Archives to a PST file and then import the PST file inot exchange 2010

LTNelson
Level 3

That sounds easy enough.  Thank you.

MichelZ
Level 6

I would be more interested as to why EV would not meet the customer's needs, but Exchange Archiving does?

That doesn't make sense :)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

InsentraCameron
Level 4

Agreed @MichelZ. It would be intersting to find out why. Exchange 2010 "archiving" breaks deduplication and increases the load on the Exchange servers.

Cameron

Dave_Baird
Level 2
Partner Accredited

If I was to guess, I would say they have simple needs and cost is probably the issue. 

In the next year or so the uptake in Office 365 may also be a factor (where Archiving options are added easily in the Enterprise plans and Microsoft provide the storage).

DavidO
Level 4
Partner

While there is no doubt Enterprise Vault has much more flexiblity around archiving than native Exchange 2010, there are certainly some customers deciding to migrage EV archived items back to Exchange 2010.  We've developed an application to automate this process.  Details can be found here:

http://www.vault-solutions.com/ourproducts/archive-accelerator-restore.html

The end result using our process is more desirable than just pushing the archived items back because we restore items back to the mailboxes based on the short-cuts we find there.  This eliminates duplicate restores and also doesn't restore items users thought they had deleted.

Dave

Vault Solutions LLC

BarneyHaye
Level 3
Partner

I agree with all the contributors above, but I'd say from our experience the overriding driver is perceived cost. We see a double-digit proportion of all migration inquiries saying that they want to explore migrating from an on-premise archive to an Exchange archive, either on premise or hosted.  I am of the view that many are exploring this simply because they are driven to find ways to put cost pressure on their existing vendor and this is a way that they might do that.  Conversely, if you've had trouble making your archive system meet your requirements and it has gained a bad reputation internally, then I imagine that the idea to hand that data back to Exchange where expertise and processes are more standardized, must be attractive.

Of the customer projects taking this route with TransVault Migrator so far there are only two of large size - both with about 30 TB of compressed archive and about 10,000 users, and both with on-premise archives that are end-of-life, not EV.

Three more that our partners are migrating are in the 10 TB range, but the majority come under 5 TBs.  However the important thing to remember is that 5 TBs probably equals 15 TBs of data you now need to keep in Exchange Personal Archives or Online Archive - that's a large amount of data when you have no integrated eDiscovery, but I know in some cases customers have elected to keep a journal archive on premise.

Incidentally, a good reason use Migrator to do this with is that it has direct EWS ingestion built in so sending data to a Personal or Online Archive is a one-step migration rather than by going through a mailbox which generates lots of extra Exchange load and logs.

Final point: we just were asked about migrating many TBs from Personal Archives straight into EV.  The answer was 'yes' and we expect that this could be a popular route too in the future!

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

We have done several migrations from Enterprise Vault to Exchange 2010 Personal Archives and via versa. (yes, there are several customers, which want to go the way back - with Archive Shuttle we can provide them with suitable solution).

All of them were suprised which amount of storage they need for the exchange archives, especially when you not only consider the actual data and take as well the growth of the next 3-5 years into consideration.

The average of our customers archives a Single-Instance-Ratio of 1:2.8 with Enterprise Vault. With Exchange 2010 Archives, you easily go from 10 TB of Enterprise Vault storage to over 60TB of Exchange storage! (10 TB * 2.8 Single Instance Factor * 3 DAG copies)

There are several options and 3rd Party Tools to migrate from Enterprise Vault to Exchnage 2010 - Covered in a very good whitepaper.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/new-ev-whitepaper-migration-tools-overview

Of course I personally would prefer to use our product, because i think it's the most advanced migration tool on the market. :D