cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate FSA archive/partition to a new Vaultstore

DavidAlvarez
Level 4

Hi,

I have a customer with an FSA Vaultstore on an EMC VNX (CIFS), now they want to buy a Veritas Access Appliance. Access Appliance support CIFS protocol but I have seen we can configure Vaultstore storage type as Veritas Access for this kind of hardware so I guess it's more efficient than CIFS. My first question will be, is really this storage type more efficient for archiving? If it is how more efficient is?

On the other side, let's suppose is far more efficient so we want to migrate the information on the CIFS Vaultstore to this new Veritas Appliance Vaultstore. Can we do it changing the type of the CIFS storage to convert it in Veritas Appliance? Maybe changing something in the database?

And finally as the previous method isn't probably the best one, to move the data from the old Vaultstore to the new, which will be the best option? Move archive? Un-archive the data and archive it in the new location? Maybe there is a way to do it with FSAutility?

Thanks in advance!

David.

4 REPLIES 4

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey David.

We have a third party tool to help in FSA migration situations. We do not really actively market currently it but it is currently under my ownership. If you do not find a native means to accomplish what you are seeking, hit me up and let's see if our FSA Migrator is a fit for you. You can see a pretty ancient posting on the topic: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Articles/Easy-FSA-Migrations/ta-p/813559

Hi Prone,

I have read the post you linked and I have some questions regarding this part:

"It uses the source file server as the source of it's information, so if you want to use the source archive as the source, then FSA Migrator can't currently assist you with that."

This means that if I want to migrate archived data do I need to unarchive it first? Is there a way to do it without unarchiving the data?

On the other hand, if the efficiency gain is enough to justify a Vaultstore storage type change, I can achieve this with this software?

Is there a demo version so I can test in my lab environtment?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

David.

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey David.

I adopted ownership of this product after we started actively marketing it. We typically have a handful of projects a year that run , typically along side other migration initiatives we are doing and I know it is maintained. I have run a project or two, but not for your use case. If you want to look into this more, I would suggest reaching out to us via our site so that we can ask the right questions to qualify how our tool can best help you.

I would also say that I see Mr. Ladoune sprinkling this forum with his wisdom at somewhat regular intervals. Long long ago in a distant land I knew him to champion FSAUtility and his advice makes me think that he may still be worth hearing from if you have the luxoury of waiting. I know FSA spiked in popularity in recent history and some dev has gone into these utilities since my indepth following of them.

Hi,
If just moving the vault store data, and not the file server data, it should be able to be done on the backend by updating the partition to point to the new path once storage is setup and configured.

I am unsure of performance increases but I believe you would gain some resiliency with the change.
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016652

Regards,
Patrick