cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate from EV9 server, SQL, & Vaults, to new EV 10 server assistance requested.

KellyLA
Level 2

All,

My company currently uses Enterprise vault, version 9.0.3, on a 2008 R2 STD virtual machine, with a remote 2005 SQL server, and attached LUNS for storage, with a NetApp backend, & Exchange 2010 in an DAG environment. Along with this we also have Discovery Accelerator, version 9.0.3 on the same server as EV 9.

We want to upgrade our environment to Enterprise Vault 10, and create a secondary server for high availability, using the same specifications. The host will be Windows 2008 R2 ENT, 10 gigs of memory, and 8 cpus. I have been tasked with a full system upgrade & migration, to a new VM host, and new EV 10 installation. Here is what I would like to do, and need guidance on how, if possible, and other tips and suggestions moving forward.

After building two new VM’s with EV 10 on them, I would like to migrate services from the EV 9  server, and port all services over to the EV 10 server.

There are key items that to my understanding need to be migrated from EV 9, over to EV 10.

• Mailbox Vault
  • Journal Vault
  • Discovery Accelerator
  • SQL Database from 2005, to 2008 R2

Along with that we are retiring out SQL 2005 environment, and need to migrate EV’s existing SQL data, into a new SQL 2008 R2 server.

Since EV requires SQL, and Discovery Accelerator does also, this particular part of the migration eludes me completely.

To make things even more complicated, the current storage we are using for EV’s content, is on an old filer, and we need to migrate the vaultsand indexing to our new fast storage, and this also completely eludes me.

To review, here are my goals:

• Build & prep two new 2008 R2 ENT systems for high availability
  • Migrate currently EV9 SQL content from 2005 SQL, to 2008 R2 SQL server.
  • Migrate storage of all EV content, to new fast storage. Within that storage is the Indexes, mail vaults, journal vault, etc

I may be completely out of line, however my hope here is to setup a new EV 10 server, attached it to the new fast storage, also set it up to the new 2008 R2 SQL server, and then somehow migrate data & services from the EV 9 server, over to the EV 10 server. Then from there execute the process of decommissioning the old EV 9 server. I would like to avoid doing any software upgrades to the existing EV 9.0.3 server, including Discovery Acclerator, and once the new system is online, simply move data, and services over.

I have read several post for this type of process, but I haven’t found anything with specific chronological information for this.

If any user or staff member could help, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!

-Kelly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey Kelly,

As I said above, you can use the Server Setting Migration Wizard to move to the new hardware and upgrade to EV 10 at the same time:

Migrating Enterprise Vault Servers to 64-bit hardware

Article:HOWTO42430  |  Created: 2011-02-23  |  Updated: 2012-04-19  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42430

Hope that helps!

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling

You seem the have the basics premise covered but you will have to upgrade EV 9 to EV 10. You can use the Server Settings Migration Wizard to move to new hardware at the same time as the upgrade.

Honestly, you are affecting a lot of change at once and whilst I commend you with what you have put together so far you may want to reach out to a Symantec consulting partner for assistance, this isn't something you want to mess up learning as you go.  (I have worked with several customers in the past doing this exact thing)

KellyLA
Level 2

Tony,

Thank you for your reply.

Is it specifically required to do an in-place upgrade of the current EV-9 server, to EV 10, then from there actually migrate services over to another EV 10 server?

The VM that is currently hosting our EV 9.0.3 solution, is only Windows 2008 R2 STD, and was not configured very well on the storage back-end. We have aprox 1200+ EV users, and the 4 cpu limitation on 2008 R2 STD, really hampers the performance of our current system.

My thought was to simply build a brand new EV server, and use Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise, and then that will enable us to use 8 cpus, and have a solid configuration from the ground up, regarding the operating system itself.

Is it required to upgrade the existing EV9 server, to version 10, before we can move forward? My hope was to simply build up the new enviornment, then migrate services.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks!

-Kelly

TonySterling

Hey Kelly,

As I said above, you can use the Server Setting Migration Wizard to move to the new hardware and upgrade to EV 10 at the same time:

Migrating Enterprise Vault Servers to 64-bit hardware

Article:HOWTO42430  |  Created: 2011-02-23  |  Updated: 2012-04-19  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42430

Hope that helps!

Regards,