cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Archives via PST - site to site.

wandarah
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi All, 

Curious one here. We have a requirement to migrate mailboxes and user archives, from one site and domain, to another. There are no trusts in place between domains, and due to highly robust security, any sort of connectivity between the two sites/domains is also very limited. 

All of this, essentially means that at this stage the archived data must be exported, then moved to a secure 'staging' area, where it is scanned for malware, before being imported into the users mailbox on the other side (speeds, and isses around calender item corruption occuring when ingested directly to EV). 

The scan for malware, is a policy decision made by the security team. This is a pain point, as manual intervention is required in a number of steps before the User has access to their archived data after they too have been migrated. AV scanning already occurs at both source, and destination - but it appears to be locked in place. 

So, essentially I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a tool that can export/unpack/scan/repack/import .pst files - that is EV aware, or do any of the migrate tools on the market include real time AV scanning as the process items?

2) Am I missing something here. Are there any recommended best practice steps to use. We're looking them at running in batches, and ingestion speed doesn't appear to be much of an issue. It's just obviously, a pain. 

3) In the event, we can actually be granted the ability to allow the two EV sites to be able to see each other and use the move archive wizard - If I recall, the move archive wizard essentially exports to a temporary .pst, and moves that across. Is that basically how it works?

Thanks in advance.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

peter_kozak1
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi wandarah,

why not automating the whole migration process?

Take a look @ArchiveShuttle from QUADROtech.

a) As it has a modular approach, you can run the distributed modules under different credentials and it doesn't need a trust.

b) As it has a "sync-n-switch" technology you can include realtime virus/malwarescanning in the migration process easily.

If you need further information, please PM me. I'll connect you to the right people.

Thanks,
Peter

View solution in original post

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you didnt mention how much data you have to migrate or how many archives but in general, i would absolutely recommend a migration tool like Archive Shuttle to ensure the success of your EV migration.

AndrewB

in that case it's completely impractical to try to accomplish this manually and i'd strongly advise you to research the tools available and seek assistance from a migration partner.

4 REPLIES 4

peter_kozak1
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi wandarah,

why not automating the whole migration process?

Take a look @ArchiveShuttle from QUADROtech.

a) As it has a modular approach, you can run the distributed modules under different credentials and it doesn't need a trust.

b) As it has a "sync-n-switch" technology you can include realtime virus/malwarescanning in the migration process easily.

If you need further information, please PM me. I'll connect you to the right people.

Thanks,
Peter

AndrewB

you didnt mention how much data you have to migrate or how many archives but in general, i would absolutely recommend a migration tool like Archive Shuttle to ensure the success of your EV migration.

wandarah
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Good point. Total user archive size is unknown at this stage, however it is about 4,000 archives. The journal archive is about 13TB. 

AndrewB

in that case it's completely impractical to try to accomplish this manually and i'd strongly advise you to research the tools available and seek assistance from a migration partner.