cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating EV 9 to EV 10 to retrieve FSA archive on the new File Server Windows Server 2012 R2 /

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi All,

Can anyone please suggest me which steps to do so that all of my users can retrieve the archived content from the newly migrated File Server 2012 R2 ?

The file server will be migrated over the weekend from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012 R2, due to the compatibility issue, I cannot and should not install the FSA agent on the File Server 2012 R2.

old environment
File Server: Windows Server 2008
SQL Server: 2005 SP4
EV Server: Version 9.0.4.CHF5 Windows Server 2003 with 17 NTFS disk for each VaultStore partition & 1x NTFS disk Index

new environment
File Server: Windows Server 2012 R2
SQL Server: 2012 SP1
EV Server: EV 10.0.4 CHF3 Windows Server 2012 R2 with 1 CIFS share for all VaultStore partition & 1x NTFS disk for Index (re-attached from the old EV 9 server)

so what's the best steps to ensure the new file server 2012 R2 can use the EV 10 to recall archived content that was archived by using EV 9 ?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It sounds like you're building a whole new environment. That is going to take considerable effort to move, without the use of 3rd party products like Archive Shuttle.

I would suggest to split your upgrades down, and do them bit by bit. For example, upgrade SQL assuming that version is supported by both versions of EV.... Upgrade EV...etc.  Doing all of the above in one go, is a big undertaking.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

Merv
Level 6
Partner
Yes agree with Rob best is split the work up,.u dont want to go for the term i use , "big bang upgrades" and big bang roll back plans (leading to insufficient time) So would definitely leave the file server migration to a couple of weekends later as EV 10 (once upgraded) can continue to target your existing win2k8 fileserver- you may want to stop running your FSA task so you have less to migrate..

plaudone
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Would ensure that all Best Practice settings are put in place on the new EV and SQL servers as well for TCP settings and such. 

Will the new 2012 file server be using the same name?  If so, then a backup restore of the data would be the quickest option. The FSA agent is supported on 2012 R2 as of 10.0.4.  

If the agent is not on the server then all of the archived data would have to be recalled to the file server or users would have to use Archive Explorer. 

6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

How are you migrting? Are you upgrading the 'old' to the 'new' ?

John_Santana
Level 6

yes the old environment to the new environment. But I confused, which one do I need to do first ?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It sounds like you're building a whole new environment. That is going to take considerable effort to move, without the use of 3rd party products like Archive Shuttle.

I would suggest to split your upgrades down, and do them bit by bit. For example, upgrade SQL assuming that version is supported by both versions of EV.... Upgrade EV...etc.  Doing all of the above in one go, is a big undertaking.

Merv
Level 6
Partner
Yes agree with Rob best is split the work up,.u dont want to go for the term i use , "big bang upgrades" and big bang roll back plans (leading to insufficient time) So would definitely leave the file server migration to a couple of weekends later as EV 10 (once upgraded) can continue to target your existing win2k8 fileserver- you may want to stop running your FSA task so you have less to migrate..

plaudone
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Would ensure that all Best Practice settings are put in place on the new EV and SQL servers as well for TCP settings and such. 

Will the new 2012 file server be using the same name?  If so, then a backup restore of the data would be the quickest option. The FSA agent is supported on 2012 R2 as of 10.0.4.  

If the agent is not on the server then all of the archived data would have to be recalled to the file server or users would have to use Archive Explorer. 

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi PLaudone,

No, the new file server will be different name and the IP address.

As at the moment I'm going through the proces of manually rehydrating the archived files out from FSA by using Robocopy, because using the FSAUtility is too slow and doesn't handle big file restore (larger than 4 GB).