cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating EV9 to EV 10 by detaching and re-attaching index & VaultStore drives ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi all,

In migrating the EV9 setting to the new EV 10 server, can I just disconnect and -re-attach the drive for all EV VaultStore (Closed & Open) as well as the index to the new EV 10 server ?

after that I can just run the EV Migration tool  in the new EV10 server.

The reason is that I do not have the extra free disk space in the storage array to commision/create 1:1 drive letters to manually copy the Index and VaultStore partitions for the new EV10 . Since Im using VMware Virtual Machine the drive can be detached from the old one and then re-attach it to the new one with the same drive letters.

would that steps work as expected ?

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

alfredmjNZ
Level 4
Partner Accredited

The short answer is yes, but with caveats.  I strongly suggest you read the Symantec docs that detail how to Migrate EV to 64bit servers (which you appear to have).  The main things to watch out for are:

• Have a good full backup before you start
  • You match the drive letters on old and new server
  • SQL server has active maintenance plans in place.
  • Read the Update README file that comes with the EV10 media.
  • Make sure you have a lot of free space in the SQL log volume
  • Run the EV Deployment checker on the new server

Good luck.  Alfred

View solution in original post

Merv
Level 6
Partner
Yes that would be how most would do it unless you are doing storage migration as well as server migration. If you are in physical same thing - just get Storage admin to rezone the disk to the new servers. As we all change do good backups and snapshots etc before the change

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

this should help you upgrade your sql databases to the new server. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188664(v=sql.110).aspx

as always, be sure to have a good full backup before you make any changes.

AndrewB

if you have it installed on the sql2012 server that's the gist of it

6 REPLIES 6

alfredmjNZ
Level 4
Partner Accredited

The short answer is yes, but with caveats.  I strongly suggest you read the Symantec docs that detail how to Migrate EV to 64bit servers (which you appear to have).  The main things to watch out for are:

• Have a good full backup before you start
  • You match the drive letters on old and new server
  • SQL server has active maintenance plans in place.
  • Read the Update README file that comes with the EV10 media.
  • Make sure you have a lot of free space in the SQL log volume
  • Run the EV Deployment checker on the new server

Good luck.  Alfred

Merv
Level 6
Partner
Yes that would be how most would do it unless you are doing storage migration as well as server migration. If you are in physical same thing - just get Storage admin to rezone the disk to the new servers. As we all change do good backups and snapshots etc before the change

John_Santana
Level 6

ah ok, I was just thinking that the I must do manual robocopy to the new EV 10 server.

but if that approach is supported, then how about the SQL Server database ?

My old EV 9 is using SQL Server 2005 and new EV 10 server is using SQL 2012.

AndrewB

this should help you upgrade your sql databases to the new server. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188664(v=sql.110).aspx

as always, be sure to have a good full backup before you make any changes.

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi Andrew,

So in this case the SQL Server copy migration wizard can be done from SQL Server 2012 to pull from the old SQL Server 2005 ?

AndrewB

if you have it installed on the sql2012 server that's the gist of it