cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Exchange From 2003 to 2013 via 2010

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Hi, apologies for the rookie question, but we are looking to migrate our mail system from MS Exchane 2003 to eventually 2013 with Exchange 2010 as the interim step, ie. no user will be using this version.

We have Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 for mailbox archiving working in Exchange 2003 and would like it to still archive and retrieve mail in 2013.

My question is what is involved in terms of Enterprise Vault so we can make the changes to the MS Exchange server.

Would I need to do anything prior to moving the mailboxes between 2003 and 2010 and then repeat the exercise for the jump from 2010 to 2013?

I should add that a select few mailboxes have already been moved and the archived Mail retrieval is still working for these users.

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BigPhil
Level 5

I thought you said no mailboxes were going to be using Exchange 2010? If no mailboxes will be archived from 2010, there is no reason to target it in EV. In that case, the vault service account would live on 2013. The Exchange 2003 environment should still work. Just make sure you dont move the Enterprise Vault system mailbox from 2003. The old 2003 tasks need to still point to a system mailbox on 2003. You'll need new system mailboxes for 2013 tasks (see the Installing and configuring guide pg. 62 for guidlines if using a DAG).

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

the only thing you really have to do is create new Exchange archiving tasks for your new Exchange servers. it seems obvious, but make sure whatever you're using to migrate mailboxes migrates the hidden messages too. last, you can have a look at this technote for more details on the general process http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48928

BigPhil
Level 5

Another detailed article that will help you out with your migration: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48928

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

that's the same article i posted but yea, it's a good one

BigPhil
Level 5

Didn't even notice that. My mistake. I wonder why yours didnt hyperlink?

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Thanks for the prompt replies.

So I don't think this process described in the note has been done in our Exch 2010 environment, is it really necessary if we're using 2010 as a stop gap to 2013.

For those mailboxes that have been moved already the user can retrieve their old archived mail. They only get an error regarding Outlook Anywhere when they start Outlook.

Also do you know whether the vsa mailbox needs to be migrated between servers?

BigPhil
Level 5

So are you immediately moving the users mailbox from 2010 to 2013? If so, then you should only have to configure Enterprise Vault for the Exchange 2013 environment. If not, it would be best to follow the article and configure all Exchange servers to work correctly with Enterprise Vault. What error are you getting in Outlook Anywhere?

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

The error occurs in outlook 2010 client installed on the user desktop pc, it has something to do with not being configured for Outlook anywhere. I will try to get the exact error from the user.

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

What happens when I move the VSA mailbox between servers?

According to a note I need to do this when I target the 2010 server in EV.

Will EV continue to work with the 2003 Exchange environment after the move?

BigPhil
Level 5

I thought you said no mailboxes were going to be using Exchange 2010? If no mailboxes will be archived from 2010, there is no reason to target it in EV. In that case, the vault service account would live on 2013. The Exchange 2003 environment should still work. Just make sure you dont move the Enterprise Vault system mailbox from 2003. The old 2003 tasks need to still point to a system mailbox on 2003. You'll need new system mailboxes for 2013 tasks (see the Installing and configuring guide pg. 62 for guidlines if using a DAG).

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Ok thanks for letting me know, it appears that the powers that be now are saying that usage of 2010 may be necessary.

I guess the migration from 2010 to 2013 will be the same as far as EV is concerned.