cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Journal mailbox from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013

Saswatab1979
Level 3

Wanted to check the best possible approach to migrate Exchange Journal mailbox from one Exchange version to another from EV perspective. 

Objective is to have minimal downtime and journal data loss. I have the below steps in mind for migrating journal mailbox Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 :-

1. Create new Journal mailboxes in Exchange 2013 DAG.
  2. Add new Exchange 2013 server target in EV if not already added.
  3. Create Journal task for the new Exchange 2013 servers.
  4. Add new Exchange 2013 mailboxes as Journal mailbox targets in EV.
  5. Flip the Exchange Journal rules or DB Journal recipient to point to the new Exchange 2013 mailbox. 
  6. Allow the old Exchange 2010 mailbox targets to get fully drained. Remove the Exchange 2010 targets and Journal tasks once the mailboxes have fully archived.

Do let me know if the above steps looks good or I am missing something. Is there a alternate approach possible to achieve the same results?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

this is basically how I'd do it. You could also create a new journal archive before creating the journal mailbox in EV for the new servers but if you would like to have all journal data within one archive you can keep it as it is. 

The following discussion also contain some good details for the process of migrating and how things can be handled in general. This also applies to Exchange 2013: 

Upgrade Exchange to 2016 - EV related steps

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Enterprise-Vault/Upgrade-Exchange-to-2016-EV-related-steps/td-p/880909

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

this is basically how I'd do it. You could also create a new journal archive before creating the journal mailbox in EV for the new servers but if you would like to have all journal data within one archive you can keep it as it is. 

The following discussion also contain some good details for the process of migrating and how things can be handled in general. This also applies to Exchange 2013: 

Upgrade Exchange to 2016 - EV related steps

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Enterprise-Vault/Upgrade-Exchange-to-2016-EV-related-steps/td-p/880909

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

Thanks Marcde, yes we would maintain a single archive. The Exchange 2016 discussion link was very helpful.