cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating PST creates multiple Calndars in outlook

Mikeydee135
Level 4

we've recently been rolling out enterprise vault for excahnge version 9 throghout our environment. it iahs integrated with our systems really well and we've only had minor issues

I've now reached the tedious and painful stage of migrating existing pst files into the new archives. this worked effectively in trial/test, now i'm picking up the server stored PST files held in the head office of our organisation and our users are reporting strange behaviour with their caendars:

we've chosen to import shortcuts from PST files to a folder called "legacy archives" and then to place each archive seperately (not merge) this creates a tree structure containing the archvied calendars from the original PST file, all seems fair so far except that, if a user browses their calendar they can see all of these calendars and there is no way of diferentiating between these. (see attached). i'v tried to hunt around and find a way of importing the archived calendar entries (PST files are being deleted afterwards so caldendar entries must not be ignored).

we cannot have our users opening multiple calendars and making entries into the wrong one, nor do we want them to be confused by the sight of many calendars.

what do people usually do to prevent this from heppening?

Thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What if you just do not import calendar entries into EV, but have them moved to Exchange?

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MichelZ
Level 6

What if you just do not import calendar entries into EV, but have them moved to Exchange?

Mikeydee135
Level 4

Hi MichelZ

Thanks for your suggestion.

If i change the PST Migration policy to not include the appointment message calse then does this migrate all that is lost directly into the mailbox as oposed to just ignoring them? they'd then be picked up by the normal archiving policy? does this have the same effect for manual/server or client driven migrations, my overall plan will use each of these methods at different stages, currently i'm running with server driven.

If the above is correct then that would be great.... i can't leave the messages in the pst and not migrate them because hte pst wil be deleted at the end but can get away with pushing htese back into the full calendar.

Am i stuck with what i've done to the 100 or so PST files which i've already imported?

Thanks again

Mike

MichelZ
Level 6

Have a look at this whitepaper:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/white-paper-pst-migration-enterprise-vault-80-part-...

(Page 10)

Dealing with non-archivable items in PST files

In addition to messages and documents, PST files can store other types of Outlook items, such as contacts and calendar Items.
If these types of items have been enabled for archiving by Enterprise Vault (using the Message Classes tab in the PST Migration Policy properties), then they will be migrated into the archive.

However, if they are not enabled for archiving, then these items will either be moved to the mailbox or left in the PST file, depending on whether or not the option to create shortcuts in mailboxes has been selected.

If the items are left in the PST file, the file will not be deleted on completion but will be copied back to replace the original PST file.
Similarly, if shortcuts are to be left in the PST file (which is done rarely), or no shortcuts are to be created at all, then any PST files that are left with non-archivable items are not deleted on completion, but are copied back over the original version.

Finally, if shortcuts are to be created in the mailboxes, the “Limit shortcuts by age” setting has no effect on non-archivable items being moved into the mailbox; all non-archivable items are copied into the mailbox regardless of age.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Michel

786John
Level 2

{spam reply removed}