cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating PST files and Server mail data from Remote location to centralized location

ursghouse
Level 3

Hi All,

One of our customer is looking for centralized VDI model, where they want thier Email data in server as well as PST files in desktops to be migrated to  centralized Datacenter.

The both server data and Desktop data need to be migrated from 8 remote locations to centralized location. What will be the migration plan and how to scrab or decommision the servers after migration of Data. Would need to propose how many EV servers that need to be planned for this migration and How many servers will be there after migration. Also need to now what kind of licenses will be required for it.

Customer is preferring to automatically scan the PST and assign owners for the PST files. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Below is the scope

States Actual No of Mailboxes Actual Size of DB (in TB) Assumed PST data in (TB) (3GB/user)
Location1 1364 0.521302259 3.99609375
Location2 1838 0.458414156 5.384765625
Location3 1199 0.316346642 3.512695313
Location4 559 0.121116087 1.637695313
Location5 530 0.227169535 1.552734375
Location6 1821 0.445187826 5.334960938
Location7 497 0.102771962 1.456054688
Grand Total 7808 2.192308466 22.875

Regards,

Ghouse

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
  1. Licensing is probably the easiest answer.  EV is licensed per active user; you don't need a license per server.  The license that includes PST migration is called the enterprise license I think.  Of course, you'll need Windows license for each server and a SQL server license per user or per processor.
  2. Depending on the WAN quality, you may want to use a SQL server at each site for the vault stores.  Each item archived results in an entry in the vault store database.  If SQL servers exist already at each site, you could use them and migrate the databases to a central SQL server when you're ready.
  3. You'll want to consider that user archives will remain in the vault store in which they are created unless you move them.  If you're going to consolidate 8 Exchange servers to 2 or 3, you'll probably want to account for how the mailboxes are moved and the EV servers that will target the new Exchange servers.  That is, if at site1 you have Exchange server EX1 and EV server EV1, when you move mailboxes from EX1, are they all going to the same new Exchange server or will they be spread across a few servers?  If they all go to one new Exchange server, EX9 for example, you might want to make sure EV1 targets EX9 when you're done.
  4. Using EV servers "temporarily" to increase initial archiving speed is a bit tricky.  There are a few options, but when I've done it in the past (before Move Archive), we consolidated using USL.  That is, if you start out with 8 EV servers: EV1, EV2,...EV8, you will always have the 8 EV servers (and 8 vault stores) in your directory.  You can consolidate them to fewer servers; Server1 can run EV1, EV2; Server2 can run EV3, EV4 and so on.  You can use MoveArchive to empty the unwanted EV servers to the permanent ones, but that might take a lot of time.
  5. Client-driven PST migration is the most 'automatic', but doesn't get PSTs that aren't opened by users (unless the PST is in the profile) or PSTs for users that aren't there anymore.  Server-driven PST migration will find the PST automatically (if the EV server can browse the Administrative shares of the computer targets, plus registries of client PCs) and admins can assign archives to the found PSTs if they want.  Most places use both types.  You can use the Wizard or script PST migrations using EVPM, but those need a lot of admin attention.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

SHI-CRO
Level 6
  1. Licensing is probably the easiest answer.  EV is licensed per active user; you don't need a license per server.  The license that includes PST migration is called the enterprise license I think.  Of course, you'll need Windows license for each server and a SQL server license per user or per processor.
  2. Depending on the WAN quality, you may want to use a SQL server at each site for the vault stores.  Each item archived results in an entry in the vault store database.  If SQL servers exist already at each site, you could use them and migrate the databases to a central SQL server when you're ready.
  3. You'll want to consider that user archives will remain in the vault store in which they are created unless you move them.  If you're going to consolidate 8 Exchange servers to 2 or 3, you'll probably want to account for how the mailboxes are moved and the EV servers that will target the new Exchange servers.  That is, if at site1 you have Exchange server EX1 and EV server EV1, when you move mailboxes from EX1, are they all going to the same new Exchange server or will they be spread across a few servers?  If they all go to one new Exchange server, EX9 for example, you might want to make sure EV1 targets EX9 when you're done.
  4. Using EV servers "temporarily" to increase initial archiving speed is a bit tricky.  There are a few options, but when I've done it in the past (before Move Archive), we consolidated using USL.  That is, if you start out with 8 EV servers: EV1, EV2,...EV8, you will always have the 8 EV servers (and 8 vault stores) in your directory.  You can consolidate them to fewer servers; Server1 can run EV1, EV2; Server2 can run EV3, EV4 and so on.  You can use MoveArchive to empty the unwanted EV servers to the permanent ones, but that might take a lot of time.
  5. Client-driven PST migration is the most 'automatic', but doesn't get PSTs that aren't opened by users (unless the PST is in the profile) or PSTs for users that aren't there anymore.  Server-driven PST migration will find the PST automatically (if the EV server can browse the Administrative shares of the computer targets, plus registries of client PCs) and admins can assign archives to the found PSTs if they want.  Most places use both types.  You can use the Wizard or script PST migrations using EVPM, but those need a lot of admin attention.

MichelZ
Level 6

Hi

We do have a product for such a type of PST Migration Project.
Have a look at http://www.evtools.net/products/pst-flightdeck

We are also able to gather data first, and then report on how much data will be flowing to which Vault Store and stuff like this, as well as of course general Enterprise Vault consulting capabilities.

Regards
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

The simplest approach would be to buildout the EV environment in the central datacenter and set up the archiving and PST migration processes to work across the WAN.  This assumes sufficient available bandwidth, but minimizes the required hardware and administrative overhead in the eventual steady-state emvironment.  EV has a built in PST migration process that runs fairly automatically. 

I would recommend bringing in an experienced EV architect to assist with the design and migration planning. 

ursghouse
Level 3

Thanks Michel,

What is the licensing cost will be for this kind of migration. Whether this tool requires any server to install or it goes along with EV server. In this case, whether I would need to run each instance at each branch location.

The plan is to have EV at central location and move PST's using PST migrator of EV. Please clarify, How this tool replaces the PST migrator. I beleive Bandwidth constraint will not be there as the whole PST will moved as single mail item.

ursghouse
Level 3

1. Thanks for your information on licensing of EV server.

2. If we assume SQL in not in all location, then I would need to buy SQL and Windows Licenses for all location. Also along with SQL ,do I need to move my EV server to centralized location ( In this case, moving Hardware might require lot of legal formalities)  or whether I would be able to configure the vault store with the Existing EV server in central location . Please clarify.

But for migration activity I need to spend on the these licenses and after migration these licenses of no use to me as all DBs will be in centrlaized location.

3. In this example, as you said, considering conslidation and also the possibilities of Exchange upgradation from 2003 to 2010, How we will remap the target Exchange server. Please share any document if available.

4. Please let me know what is that USL means to be. As mentioned in your comment, what will be the approximate time for moving the archive on LAN after moving the unwanted server to centralized location. Is it not possible to replicate the SQL to central location and try move archive option.

5. Is there any limitation in using number of instances of PST migrator tool per server. Also please clarify, whether I can run PST migrator tool alone, without EV servers installed at Branch offices, pointing my EV at central location. The reason for my question is, is it possible to install EV server in central location and using the PST migrator tool from branch offices we can scan all PST files in LAN and migrate it to central EV. And using central EV target the remote Exchange servers to archive server data. Whether this plan will be fine for migration assuming bandwitdh will not be a constraint as whole PST will be moved as single mail item.

6. Also the Symantec EV.cloud will be able to address this need.

ursghouse
Level 3

Thanks for your reply. As per your comment is there any limitation in using number of instances of PST migrator tool per server. Also please clarify, whether I can run PST migrator tool alone, without EV servers installed at Branch offices, pointing my EV at central location. The reason for my question is, is it possible to install EV server in central location and using the PST migrator tool from branch offices we can scan all PST files in LAN and migrate it to central EV. And using central EV target the remote Exchange servers to archive server data.

Only assumption is we have optimal Bandwidth. Whether 200 MB link will be fine across locations. Is there any tool for calculating Storage and Network requirements.

Also the Symantec EV.cloud will be able to address this need.

MichelZ
Level 6

hi

licensing would need to be inquired trough our homepage, I think it's mainly number of users to be migrated, as well es a base fee, but i'm a technician not a sales. ;)

You will need a separate (temporary) server in your central location. In our "standard approach", the clients will push the PST's to be migrated to this server, and this server will ingest it into EV. What we do is replace the PST Locator task / PST Collector Task of Enterprise Vault, and enhance it with User Communication, error checking and things like that which would prevent PST's from successfully migrating.

We have demos available, if you want to see it in action for yourself.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

BarneyHaye
Level 3
Partner
Ursghouse, You could take a look at TransVault Insight (transvault.com). This is designed to do exactly what you have described and send your data into EV, Exchange, 365, Symantec.cloud, etc. We are in beta phase but will launch soon. Please email us at sales@transvault.com and we'll get you a look at the product so you can judge for yourself. Best regards