Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Shortcuts from Domino to Exchange

Peable
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi there,

when migrating mailfile data from Domino to Exchange with e.g. Quest and afterwards using the tool EVDominoExchangeMigration to convert shortcuts in the Outlook mailbox to Exchange shortcuts., does EV still require a EVDG? Can the EVDG be uninstalled and is the Notes API sufficient for opening the data?

IMHO the utitilies guide (pdf file coming with each version) is a bit short on information here on the infrastructure changes.

Many thanks,
Jochen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

We just need Notes Client installed on EV Server, which will recombine the dvs into notes format. StorageOnlineOPNS function will be used to retrieve the archived items, so when you double click on Shortcut (migrated) it contacts IIS on EV Server which then contacts Storage Online process.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes notes client is sufficient

Peable
Level 6

Hi there,

In a different environment only for journaling domino data, I could test/show, that EVDG is not required for accessing domino data through the search interface (http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/view-ev-domino-data-without-evdg-or-notes).

In this environment, we've been using the migration tool and tested stopping the EVDG. Suddently, users couldn't open the shortcuts from Outlook anymore.

Therefore, I was hoping for your answer, but have you tested it? Is stopping EVDG something else than uninstalling it?

Many thanks,
Jochen.

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you say EVDG, I assume you have seperate EV Server for Domino Archiving.

If the server which you are shutting down has storage service running for these Domino Archives then obiviously retrieval will fail.

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

We just need Notes Client installed on EV Server, which will recombine the dvs into notes format. StorageOnlineOPNS function will be used to retrieve the archived items, so when you double click on Shortcut (migrated) it contacts IIS on EV Server which then contacts Storage Online process.

Peable
Level 6

No, when I mean EVDG, there is a single EV server with Lotus Domino (EVDG to access the domino domain) and Lotus Notes installed as well as Outlook (for the Exchange archiving).

I asked the colleagues to stop the domino server and restart the EV services afterwards. I assume, it wasn't done this way and that EV still uses a known connection.

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Domino Server running on EVDG is only required for retrieval of archived items from Notes client (user end).

From outlook client, when you access archived items, it does not require Domino Server running, it just need Notes client (Notes C API) in order to recombine the archived item back to native format

Peable
Level 6

Not sure what happened. Without Lotus Domino running on the EV server, Outlook can open converted shortcuts and Lotus Notes clients cannot - as expected. Thanks.