Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating archives from EV server1 on EVsite1 to EV server2 on EVsite2

Asterisk
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

I read some former discussions about moving archives between EV servers.
I have another challange: the archives are on EVServer1 that is part of EVSite1.I need to move the archives to a new server (EVserver2) that is the EVsite2.
Has anyone any idea if it can works?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
To answer the above question

I would not create a new EV site as that causes more issues than you need

I would create the new EV cluster environment.

Set the name of the virtual server instance to the same name of the old EV server

Then do a Data only DR on the cluster

Thsi will mean moving all your data to the cluster and then going through the Data Only DR process

The other option is to use building blocks to perform the move. I prefer the data only DR option. It is a weekends work but buch cleaner

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 To do this you need to export the data and re-archive it again

There are tool that can assist with this from evtools.net such as archive shuttle which is designed to do this process for you and take out all the manual steps needed to complete the migrations

Asterisk
Level 3
Partner

Thanks, that's waht I thought.
But I want to be sure that there are'nt another ways that keep the archive and accessing to archive transparent as much as possible.
Is there any Symantec KB/Best Practice that provides a solution?
It's unbeliveable that I have to use the forums neither 3rd party tools to do so.
There is no address at Symantec that can provides answers?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Let take up your other post here as it should be part of this

If you are moving a users vault from one vault store to another you need to export the data and then import it. You can export the users data to a PST file or many PST files then import the data again to the new vault store

If Archive Shuttle is not what you are looking for then there is another option of  Archive Align http://www.globanet.com/docs/ArchiveAlign_080529.pdf

Either way you can use a tool to automate it for yourself or you can do an manual export and import

As for the exchange move, If both servers are in the same exchange site then you can just move the mailbox, export the archive to PST and then import it again to the moved  mailbox on the new server

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 export and import are the present solutions that i know of from Symantec

Asterisk
Level 3
Partner

Hi Scanner001,

Does that fact that the archives will be move across different EV sites or in the same sites will generate different solutions.
Followed the procedures; I have to export the archives to PST and then re-archive them in the new EV server and EV sites.
By doing it, I assume that it doesn't matter whether it is within the EVsite or to another EVsites.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Correct

Asterisk
Level 3
Partner
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273232
Option 1: Move archive where the Active Directory Account/Exchange Mailbox doesn't Exist
Option 2: Exporting to a PST

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 The steps are similar but in the KB it specifies a mailbox that was deleted. In your case you would not be deleting the mailbox.

You would first export the content of archive to PST.
Move the users mailbox to the new Exchange server
re-provision the mailbox on the new EV server
verify archiving was working for that user
import the PST files

delete the archive from the old server once the move is successful

Asterisk
Level 3
Partner
I was hoping that I am wrong...
Well, my client will not like this answer.
He is againts exporting & importing.
Your answers really make sense and very clear.
Another question in your permission:

Let's say I have jounaling server first that is EVSite1.
The 2nd EV server (mailbox archiving) was added to this site.
After running for a while my client wish to migrate the mailbox archiving to cluster configuration.
Additionally he wants to locate the EVSite on the clustered servers (which is rational and welcome)

I am thinking on two way of migrating the EV into the EV-Cluster:
1. Create the EV-clustered servers as EVsite2 and then move the archives from the old EV to the clustered EV servers.
2. Move the EVsite1 from the journaling server to the clustered EV servers by using USL.

I agree that there are adv/disadv by separating into 2 EVsites in terms of maintenance/single managing.

I got the impression that moving the directory service by using the USL is not recommended by Symantec for this configuration.

What do you say?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
To answer the above question

I would not create a new EV site as that causes more issues than you need

I would create the new EV cluster environment.

Set the name of the virtual server instance to the same name of the old EV server

Then do a Data only DR on the cluster

Thsi will mean moving all your data to the cluster and then going through the Data Only DR process

The other option is to use building blocks to perform the move. I prefer the data only DR option. It is a weekends work but buch cleaner

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Asterisx,

If you have the solution to your question please mark the post as solved