cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating file server copying Placeholder with FSAUtility

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi All,

I'm in the process of migrating the file server data content from one server to another. Using the Robocopy script below which skip the Offline attributes (eg. EV placeHolder):

robocopy.exe "\\OldFileServer\homedirs" F:\HomeDirs *.* /MIR /E /SECFIX /SEC /XA:O /XO /XJ /ZB /COPYALL /DCOPY:T /R:0 /W:0 /NP /NFL /NDL /TEE /log:"C:\robocopyUsersHomes.log"

The FSAUtility that I execute from the EV server is as follows:

FSAUtility –pm –s \\OldFileServer\homedirs -d \\NewFileServer\HomeDirs\ -f –csf

my questions is:

1. Does the copy can be run or executed simultaneously or does it have to be in specific order ? eg. Robocopy Script first and then followed by FSAUtility or the other way around ?
  2. Does the FSAUtility place holder copy retains the same file Ownership and also Permissions as well ?

Thank in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i would run one at a time starting with your robocopy so that the file folder tree is created.

as for the permissions, this is from page 163 of the Utilities.pdf in the EV documentation. i strongly recommend reading it and understanding all the requirements.

FSAUtility creates the placeholders on the destination
location and then deletes the placeholders at the source location. The migration
retains the placeholder file’s security descriptor, which contains information
about the ownership and NTFS permissions for the file. The migration also
retains any alternate data streams associated with the placeholder file.

John_Santana
Level 6

ok, so in this case, there is no rollback plan when doing the FSAUtility -PM option ?

because with te Robocopy, the file can be copied not MOVED. 

AndrewB

the rollback plan is to perform a restore. therefor, per the documentation i referenced:

before you migrate placeholders, make sure that you have a backup of the Directory database, the vault store databases, and the folder hierarchy under the source path. Back up the folder hierarchy under the destination path also, if it contains archived files.

John_Santana
Level 6

Cool, thanks Andrew.

"Back up the folder hierarchy under the destination path also, if it contains archived files."
--No the destination drive doesn't contains any place holder at all because in the Robocopy script I exclude it to avoid the file being deflated or pulled out from the EV archive during the robocopy migration.

"and the folder hierarchy under the source path"

-- do you mean backup the whole source folder or directory content structure ? 

AndrewB

i see how that might be confusing. you would want to backup the whole thing - all the folders and files.