Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Enterprise Vault Archiving to Exchange 2010 Archiving

Ashish82
Level 2
Partner Accredited

hello everyone,

I am planning to migrate from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010. We also have Enterprise Vault 6 used for exchange mailbox archiving and journal archiving. We have decided to remove enterprise vault and use the exchange 2010 native archiving feature. I need your guidance in planning the same. how should i migrate data from enterprise vault to exchange 2010.

I have refered to http://consultantsrus.blogspot.com/2011/03/migrating-from-enterprise-vault-to.html for mailbox data migration from EV to exchange 2010. But i dint find any article for migrating journal data from EV to exchange.

Kindly suggest.

thanks in advance.

Cheers!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

It depends. You can export the journal archive to PST, and then import to Exchange 2010.
You can export it to your Journal Mailbox on 2003, and then move that mailbox (which probably won't work, because of the size).

But this all does not take the P1 header with it. Do you need the P1 header? (Envelope Journaling), then you would need special Tools which can export the P1 header. In fact, we are currently working on such functionality, I think. If you like, you can contact us @ http://www.evtools.net

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

It depends. You can export the journal archive to PST, and then import to Exchange 2010.
You can export it to your Journal Mailbox on 2003, and then move that mailbox (which probably won't work, because of the size).

But this all does not take the P1 header with it. Do you need the P1 header? (Envelope Journaling), then you would need special Tools which can export the P1 header. In fact, we are currently working on such functionality, I think. If you like, you can contact us @ http://www.evtools.net

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have bets with several companies doing the same, that they will return to EV within 2 years...

Small companies are ok for this period, but large implementations I expect to return to EV within 8 months.

But, for the rest, I agree with Michel. Especially with your journal archive, you will get issues with it. You might want to make sure you run an expiry, to make the data needing to as small as possible.

Regards. Gertjan

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

I think TransVault can do this, although EV6 is going to be a bit of a pig to get repaired if it breaks down mid migration!

www.TransVault.com

yatinn
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Migration from Enterprise Vault is not good option Because Neither Exchange 2010 have SIS Features not their Native Archival solution. Transvault the Best option which provides you  Migration tool and also support. Symantec also recommends same.

Regards

Yatin Naik

DanClark
Level 3
Partner

Mohawk is correct - TransVault Migrator can already export the P1 and do Envelope Reconstruction (i.e. back to a normal Exchange Envelope Message) for you - into either 2003 or 2007/10 format. If you do not, you will suffer data loss: as alot of the information around P1's, Distribution List memberships, and so on, is held internally inside Enterprise Vault.

Additionally, don't worry about EV6 breaking down - if it does, TransVault Migrator only needs the data stores and database - we do not need the EV6 system to be up and online.

Thanks,

Dan

SammyB
Level 2
Partner

Hi Ashish,

Couple things to keep in mind is how much data you curently have and what that will turn into once you migrate away from EV.  EV does a good job on SIS and once you export it out to PSTs or straight to Exchange using TV or another method it breaks the SIS and all the messages that were part of DL's, sent to multiple users, etc expand out.  We have seen around 5-10 times the amount of data when we do these migration projects.

If you need more assistance or guidance on the tools out there and what is best suited feel free to contact us at info@globanet.com

Good luck,

Sam