cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Lotus Notes to Exchange

MarkusMailAdmin
Level 3

Hello All,

I have a customer which will migrate from Lotus Notes to Exchange and have Enterprise Vault Notes Mail archives. The archives have to migrated to Exchange, and I found the script EVDominoExchangeMigration to give access to the notes archive.

But my question is how to prevent that users will reply to archived notes item and will have Lotus Notes addresses into the to field ? For my understanding the archived notes items could not used for reply, because these items have notes addresses.

Is there a way to prevent this problems ? Or is there a solution to convert the Lotus Adresses into the archived mails to valid Exchange SMTP-Adresses ?

Best Regards

Markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MassimoVagli
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Markus, 

I have seen some environments where customers migrated from Lotus Notes to Exchange and converted the EV shortcuts with the EVDominoExchangeMigration.exe utility but none of them has ever reported a similar question.

In Lotus Notes you might not see the SMTP address (like you see in Exchange) but this is still written in the person document of the Domino user (internet address), recipients or sender of the items.

I have analysed the documents in the Lotus Notes and I have found the following properties: 

INetFrom 

INetSendTo

INetCopyTo

INetBlindCopyTo

They all contain the SMTP addresses which I think this is what you are asking (the same property is converted with third party compatible software for the migration from Domino to Exchange)

Massimo 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

A_J1
Level 6

Hello Markus,

Please have a look on the below Article which will explains you How to migrate Enterprise Vault users from Domino to Exchange

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64767

Migrating users from Domino to Exchange is a multi-tiered process. There are six steps that need to be performed:

1. Prepare Exchange for Enterprise Vault
2. Disable Domino mailbox archiving for users to be migrated
3. Migrate the user's mailbox from Domino to Exchange
4. Install the Outlook add-in
5. Migrate shortcuts from Domino to Exchange
6. Enable Exchange mailbox archiving

And Step 5 Answeres your Question.

5. Migrate shortcuts from Domino to Exchange
Use EVDominoExchangeMigration.exe (located in the Enterprise Vault installation directory) to migrated Domino shortcuts to Exchange MAPI shortcuts. This has to be run for each mailbox.

I Hope this Helps !!!

A_J

A_J1
Level 6

Do have any doubts ???

MarkusMailAdmin
Level 3

Hello A_J,

yes, I know this article, but this did not answer my question. This described procedure take care that my archive Notes Shortcuts will also work in my Exchange Mailbox. But this was not my question !

My question is "what´s about the Lotus Notes Mail Adresses into the archived items" ?

Which means when I open an archived Item in Exchange (Outlook) and press "replay to all" I will have Lotus Notes Adresses into the "to"-field of the new mail (This are not SMTP-Adresses).

And if I try to send this mail I will get undeliverable mails because Exchange does not know these Notes Adresses.

I need a solution for converting the Lotus Notes Adresses to valid Exchange SMTP-Adressses during the migration process, taking care that archived Lotus Notes mails could be replayed in the new Exchange environment.

Best Regards

Markus

MassimoVagli
Level 4

Hello Markus, 

I have seen some environments where customers migrated from Lotus Notes to Exchange and converted the EV shortcuts with the EVDominoExchangeMigration.exe utility but none of them has ever reported a similar question.

In Lotus Notes you might not see the SMTP address (like you see in Exchange) but this is still written in the person document of the Domino user (internet address), recipients or sender of the items.

I have analysed the documents in the Lotus Notes and I have found the following properties: 

INetFrom 

INetSendTo

INetCopyTo

INetBlindCopyTo

They all contain the SMTP addresses which I think this is what you are asking (the same property is converted with third party compatible software for the migration from Domino to Exchange)

Massimo 

jim_leggett
Level 6

Hi Markus,

I concur with Massimo. I have been through these migrations over the last 7 years and have not heard of this issue. It is possible that something is not coming across with the migration. I expect this would effect non-archived items as well.

From your original post:

"For my understanding the archived notes items could not used for reply, because these items have notes addresses."

-Markus

Is this an issue you are currently experiencing? Just trying to figure out where you understanding of the issue is coming from.

If you need please feel free to open up a support case regarding this issue as some inspection of the shortcuts in question would likely be needed.

Thanks,

jim

MarkusMailAdmin
Level 3

Hello Massimo and Jim,

Thanks for your clarification, I have no experiance with this Notes to Exchange archives, and I did not know that these script also converts the Adresses to SMTP-addresses. This will help me much and this help me to solve my concerns.

Many Thanks for your help !

Best Regards

Markus 

MassimoVagli
Level 4

Happy to help :)

MarkusMailAdmin
Level 3

Hello Jim,

no this not an issue I actually have, these are only my concerns before we start with the data migration ;)

I searched about these migration scenario, and I could not found something about these adresses into the archives. I thougt it must be Notes Addresse because it comes from Notes. But as described from you and Massimo it seems to be SMTP Adresses which is really good for me and the future Exchange migration.

I just did not find a written Dokument, where somebody gives a clear statement if the archived items have Notes or SMTP-Adresses.

Best Regards

Markus

MassimoVagli
Level 4

Hello Markus, 

At the moment the EVDominoExchangeMigration.exe is able to convert shortcuts for data migrated with CMT Binary Tree or Quest --> 

This is from the utilities.pdf

EVDominoExchangeMigration has been tested with Enterprise Vault shortcuts
that had been migrated with the following:
■ Binary Tree CMT Universal™ 2.7 (also known as CMT for Exchange™).
■ Quest Notes Migrator for Exchange from Quest Software.

The documentation of the migration software should explain you exactly how the SMTP-Addresses would be converted from Domino to Exchange

Regards, 

Massimo