cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Windows Server to NetApp CIFS

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

I've been tasked with moving all our file server data to CIFS shares on a NetApp filer.  I've also need to recall all currently archived files from the vault and move the originals to CIFS as well.  My EV server is 9.0.2 on Windows Server 2003.  My file servers are a two node cluster on W2K3.

I've tried pass-through recall, but it worked only in very small test cases.  When I tried a larger test is hung my file servers (but not from a lack of disk space).

I tried using the fsautility bulk recall feature, but it crashed my file server after running for about two hours.  Smaller tests worked just fine.

I opened a ticket with Symantec Tech Support for help with the fsautility b/c that seemed like my best option, but they don't have any ideas, except to use the ps.ps1 powershell script I used to use for big recalls when I was running EV 8.0.x.  The script works like the fsautility bulk recall feature, but you run it directly on the file server instead of from the EV server.  I have a couple of TB of data to recall.  I think the powershell script could do it, but the log files it creates are quite large, even for small-ish test runs.  It lists every single file in the file system as it walks through the target location.

I've considered moving the placeholders to the NetApp and adding the NetApp as a EV target, but this is not the end goal we're trying to reach.  We want to recall everything so we can start over.

We have a license for Secure Copy, which has a "Copy Offline/Stub Files" option.  I've not tested this feature yet, but does anyone know if it plays nice with EV?

I've seen several postings similar to mine.  If any of you who've done this before could let me know what worked for you, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I'm not really good with FSA or NetApps but really if it's hanging your server, open the case back up with Symantec and work it until you get a hotfix or you have a viable work around
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
I'm not really good with FSA or NetApps but really if it's hanging your server, open the case back up with Symantec and work it until you get a hotfix or you have a viable work around
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

MichelZ
Level 6

yes, i'd do the same as JesusWept2. If it crashes the server, then something is wrong.

You should be able to recall your shortcuts using e.g. a Virus Scanner, which does not obey the offline bit...
Or maybe just Robocopy to /dev/null :)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.