cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from stubs to virtual vault

JB22
Level 5

Hi,

At the moment we are using enterprise vault 10.1 for mail archiving (for microsoft exchange).

We are preparing to upgrade to version 11 and I'm considering removing the stubs in the mailboxes and working with virtual vault instead.

I'm looking for some ideas how to put this idea into place.

I don't have a lot of experience with the virtual vault, it would be great if anyone would share his opinion on this one.

Thanks.

JB 

7 REPLIES 7

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

You can use Shortcut Deletion on your Mailbox policy to remove shortcuts and orphaned shortcuts.

If you role out Virtual Vault you should do it in stages. Figure out blocks of users for your Provisioning Groups/Desktop policies. See chapter 5 http://origin-symwisedownload.symantec.com/library/BUSINESS/DOC6634/11.0%20-%20Setting_up_Exchange_Server_Archiving.pdf

Also, you may want to consider IMAP folders depending on what users need to access and what they need offline.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

In all reality one does not have much to do with the other.  In my environment we have both, users have shortcuts for 6 months, but we also have and use virtual vault.  Additionally we have added EV-IMAP to the mix and made it available for all our uses (with about a 15% adoption rate).  All three methods have pros and cons, but by all all three you can provide your users the best experience.

JB22
Level 5

Thank you for the comments.

I was thinking of removing the shortcuts in the mailbox because when a user adds an older mail, which is a shortcut, to a new mail and sending it to somebody else its always trouble.

Most people are aware of that but still this is causing a struggle for some people.

To solve this people just take the mail out of their virtual vault.

Why should I keep the shortcuts in the mailbox?

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Again, you have the options.  It depends on your user base and how impactful it would be to remove the shortcuts. 

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

And you can drag and drop from IMAP folders similar to Virtual Vault.

As far as removing shortcuts you should have no issue once you set Shortcut Deletion on your Mailbox policy.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

do you have other people on your team in IT at your company? i would suggest enabling the features for them and letting them play with it for a bit then gather their feedback and use it to evaluate which combination of features/settings works best for your environment. take into account that some people who work offline a lot might leverage shortcuts more than they think because they might not even notice. also, you didnt mention if you have vault cache enabled but that could be a factor too.

JB22
Level 5

I is definitely my plan to start with a couple of people and see how they experience the change.

At the moment we don't have vault cache enable.

It is great to have some other peoples opinion, it gives me a better view on how to start and which things I can consider.

Thanks all for the feedback.

JB