cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating mailboxes to new Exchange Server

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

I have a customer that has moved mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 without first disabling the mailbox for archiving on the Vault Server.  No archiving has taken place since the start of the migration of mailboxes.

They are currently on EV 7.0 and we will be completing an upgrade to EV 2007 and then up to EV 8.0 followed by a fail-over to a new Windows 2008 server, which will be prepared with EV 8.0 and then an upgrade to EV 9.0. 

At that time we will be able to add the Exchange 2010 server as a target and create an Archiving Task for the Exchange 2010 server.

My question is how to fix the problem of not disabling the mailboxes prior to the move to Exchange 2010.

Please verify if this will work.

Once we have upgraded to EV 9.0, I will run EVPM against a list of mailboxes that had been migrated to Exchange 2010 and disable their mailboxes for archiving.  Then hopefully when we chose those mailboxes to re-enable for archiving, EV will recognize their old archives and not create new ones.

Has anyone had to do this and if so, does it work disabling a mailbox after the move has already been done.

Is there another method that would work?

Judy

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi judy, you said no archiving has taken place but what about the provisiong task? if the key below is set then when provisioning runs it will see that the legacymbxdn matches the moved users and will link that mailbox to the old archive

i would recommend making sure that this registry key is set to 1 on all your EV servers:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents\SynchInMigrationMode

0 - (Default.) Generate an error in the event viewer log.
1 - Link the new mailbox to the old record.
2 - Create a new record for the new mailbox

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

Hello Andrew

Thanks for your quick response. 

The SynchinMigrationMode that will automatically associate malboxes to archives with the same legacyMbxDNvalue will work great for those mailboxes that have not yet been moved to the new Exchange 2010 Server.  However this registry key must have been set on the Vaul Server BEFORE the migration of the mailboxes for the SynchinMigratonMode to work properly.  Fortunately the majority of mailboxes have not yet been moved so we can disable them prior to the migration. 

We have several mailboxes that were not disabled prior to being migrated to Exchange 2010 and I am worried that when we add the new Exchange 2010 archiving task and try to enable them for archiving on the new Exchange 2010 server, their mailboxes will not even be available to choose to enable because they are still in effect enabled for the Exchange 2003 server they were migrated from.

I am hoping that running EVPM diable mailbox script against these mailboxes on the Exchange 2010 to disable them, which in turn will make them available to be enabled on the Exchange 2010 server.  I can't test this scenario until we have upgraded to EV9.0 and I was hoping that someone else may have run into this scenario and have tried what I am thinking of and it worked for them.

Judy

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When you enable the mailboxes you can always choose what archive to associate it with.

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner

Good Morning Tony

You are right, you can manually enable mailboxes and choose which archive to associate them with.  As long as they were disabled for archiving prior to the migration.  My problem is that those previously enabled mailboxes that were migrated, will not be displayed as "New Mailboxes" nor would they be displayed as "Disabled Mailboxes" To Enable.

That is why I am hoping that the disable script run in EVPM against the Exchange 2010 server (where the EV enabled mailboxes were migrated to) will run successfully and disable the migrated mailboxes making them available as "New Mailboxes" on the Exchange 2010 server.

It is either the EVPM disable script, or somewhere in SQL I would have to find the archives of the mailboxes that have been migrated and disable them in a SQL table,  which by the way I don't want to even attempt.

Judy