Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating placeholders from NTFS to Celerra

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Greetings All,

I need to migrate placeholders from a Windows file server to a Celerra file server.  Both file servers will need to remain in production during the entire migration.  The following syntax will be used with FSAUtility to migrate the placeholders.

FSAUtility -pm -s \\Share\FSA -d \\Celerra\FSA

After the placeholder migration, I would like to decomission the Windows box and rename the Celerra to the NETBIOS name of the Windows box.  Has anyone tried this before?  Will simply changing the DnsName and UncName within the FileServerEntry table achieve the desired results?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AWMorris
Level 4

So I was able to perform the following with 2 Windows file servers, we will name them OLD and NEW. 

1.  Added NEW as an FSA Target.  OLD was already added as I have been archiving from it.

2.  Ran FSAUtility with following parameters

FSAUtility -pm -s \\OLD\FSA -d \\NEW\FSA

3.  Confirmed that recall and archiving of placeholders works on NEW

4.  Disconnected OLD from the network and deleted the AD computer object.

5.  Renamed NEW to OLD.

6.  Voila!  Recalls and archiving working as hoped.

Let's hope that this goes as smoothly as above, with the addition of changing the FileServerType, with a Celerra appliance.

Thanks for the help and comments folks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you seen this?

How to migrate a FSA target to a different device type (I.E. NTFS to NETAPP) keeping the same name

Article: TECH88209  |  Created: 2009-01-17  |  Updated: 2010-01-29  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH88209

Option 2 would probably work for you:

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That is correct but the other bits will apply. 

JesusWept3
Level 6

Its a pretty poorly written article to be honest, but i think the gist of it is IF you have disks that you can move, move them, otherwise, stop the placeholder service, physically move the placeholders from one location to another, change the filesystem types and urls in the database, then rebuild the shortcuts.

The thing is, you're going to have to make sure the archive points exist there, either by copying them by one means or another or recreating them through FSAUtility,

The only thing i don't think you need to do is to run the fsautility to rebuild the shortcuts, as the EV Servers aren't changing, the archive ID's arent changing so the URLS in the hidden streams would be no different, but i could be entirely wrong,

It's really something i would suggest just testing, if you have a windows server thats not doing much, create it as an FSA target, create the archive points, archive some stuff then try pushing it to the celerra instead, make sure that items can be opened and recalled and new items archived....afterwards blow it away and you can begin your regular migration

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AWMorris
Level 4

AWMorris
Level 4

Thanks guys.  I agree, the document could we worded a bit better.  In response to:

The thing is, you're going to have to make sure the archive points exist there, either by copying them by one means or another or recreating them through FSAUtility,

Using FSAUtility with the -pm switch will move the placeholder files as well as the archive points.  Unfortunately, I will not have access to the Celerra for another 2 weeks.  I am testing it with Windows now to see what happens when I use the -pm switch, decomission old server and change NETBIOS of new to match that of old.

AWMorris
Level 4

So I was able to perform the following with 2 Windows file servers, we will name them OLD and NEW. 

1.  Added NEW as an FSA Target.  OLD was already added as I have been archiving from it.

2.  Ran FSAUtility with following parameters

FSAUtility -pm -s \\OLD\FSA -d \\NEW\FSA

3.  Confirmed that recall and archiving of placeholders works on NEW

4.  Disconnected OLD from the network and deleted the AD computer object.

5.  Renamed NEW to OLD.

6.  Voila!  Recalls and archiving working as hoped.

Let's hope that this goes as smoothly as above, with the addition of changing the FileServerType, with a Celerra appliance.

Thanks for the help and comments folks!

arronpitman
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hey,

I was wondering if you had any update on this. I'm due to perform a migration from NTFS in one domain to a Celerra in another soon...

Ideally I'd like to use the -pm switch to migrate the archive points and placeholders to the Celerra and then rebuild the shortcuts as recommended in the article - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH88209

Would love to know how you got on....

AWMorris
Level 4

The placeholder migration is currently underway and will let you know the outcome.