Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to Office 365 - vault suggestions

Mallard78
Level 3

Hello,

I am looking for some advice.

We are currently on Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP5 running on Windows Server 2003.

Our Exchange level is 2003 as is the domain level.

We are planning to migrate to Office 365 in the near future and have been told the following:

- Need to upgrade AD to 2012 level

- Need to upgrade Exchange to 2010 SP3 minimum

(These are projects we will be carrying out soon.)

I could do with some advice on what we can do with our current vault setup.

We are set to archive all items that are older than 1 month and have been told that you can move the mailbox to 365 easily but only unvaulted items.

Can anyone suggest what the best way forward if I want to upload all of our archived mailboxes to 365?

It was suggested that only the unarchived mails will be imported to 365 and you have to manually export to a .pst to upload the rest.

Is this true? We have a huge amount of archived data and this would be very time consuming.

Is there a way we can upload all people's archives without having to export them too?

Is there a way of integrating Enterprise Vault with Office 365?

What happens with the Journal?

Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome.

Many Thanks

Nigel

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You might want to consider a third party product to help with your migration. There are several on the market, including Archive Shuttle (link in signature)

These tools will help you seamlessly migrate the archived data to Office 365.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Doing it yourself, or via a 3rd party tool/consulting, the methods are essentally the same.  You have to export and then import each individual archive.  Yes, it is very time consuming and requires a significant amount of time and resources to run this effectively.  The alternative to migrating all this data is to use EV with O365, see following whitepaper:

http://kbdownload.symantec.com/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/TECHNICAL_SOLUTION/169000/TECH1...

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

there's quite a number of differences between doing it yourself via manual means and using a 3rd party tool with expert consulting to accomplish a large scale EV to O365 migration. we dont have to get into them here but i'm happy to have a conversation with you offline to help.

as for using EV with Office365, it depends what you're trying to accomplish. since you're on EV 8 with Windows 2003, the first order of business would be an overhaul upgrade of your EV environment to get you up to EV 11. When EV 11 SP1 is released (later this year hopefully) it will help round out the picture. i dont think there's any public documentation on it yet but there are some awesome new features coming out.

3 REPLIES 3

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You might want to consider a third party product to help with your migration. There are several on the market, including Archive Shuttle (link in signature)

These tools will help you seamlessly migrate the archived data to Office 365.

Working for cloudficient.com

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Doing it yourself, or via a 3rd party tool/consulting, the methods are essentally the same.  You have to export and then import each individual archive.  Yes, it is very time consuming and requires a significant amount of time and resources to run this effectively.  The alternative to migrating all this data is to use EV with O365, see following whitepaper:

http://kbdownload.symantec.com/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/TECHNICAL_SOLUTION/169000/TECH1...

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

there's quite a number of differences between doing it yourself via manual means and using a 3rd party tool with expert consulting to accomplish a large scale EV to O365 migration. we dont have to get into them here but i'm happy to have a conversation with you offline to help.

as for using EV with Office365, it depends what you're trying to accomplish. since you're on EV 8 with Windows 2003, the first order of business would be an overhaul upgrade of your EV environment to get you up to EV 11. When EV 11 SP1 is released (later this year hopefully) it will help round out the picture. i dont think there's any public documentation on it yet but there are some awesome new features coming out.