Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to new AD Forest

sujith_poojari
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi everyone,

One of our customers is migrating to a new domain/forest. This will be more like a rename of the domain since all the users will be shifted. They are also going to migrate Exchange setup from 2007 to 2010. 

They are currently using EV 9.0 (64 Bit).

How do I go about migrating EV to the new domain? Would changing the Domain membership of the server as per technote(https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO77280.html)  help or do have to create a fresh setup and migrate over the archives using PST export or move archive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Sujith,

It depends on how many archives you have, and how much data is in those archives.

I've executed this once, without issues, following the document you mentioned. If you have a small amount of archives, and want to go to EV11.0.1 straight away, the move archive functionality should be able to perform what you want. Exporting/importing would also require to remove the shortcuts from the mailboxes, as they point to the 'old' domain.

It might be easier to move EV to the new domain, and then upgrade.

Another option might be to restore the archives back to the mailboxes, and then move to the new domain, then start with a fresh EV install.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA

Hello Sujith,

It depends on how many archives you have, and how much data is in those archives.

I've executed this once, without issues, following the document you mentioned. If you have a small amount of archives, and want to go to EV11.0.1 straight away, the move archive functionality should be able to perform what you want. Exporting/importing would also require to remove the shortcuts from the mailboxes, as they point to the 'old' domain.

It might be easier to move EV to the new domain, and then upgrade.

Another option might be to restore the archives back to the mailboxes, and then move to the new domain, then start with a fresh EV install.

Regards. Gertjan

sujith_poojari
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello GertjanA,

Thanks for your response!

The size part is what is concerning me! Current store usage is around 4 TB! So moving the archives would be a lengthy process. Also they are frugal in provisioning Exchange Storage storage. So restoring back to mailbox is also out of the question.

We have already done this for a Domino to Exchange Migration once but there the data size was fractional and migration was handled by quest which worked seamlessly along with EV. I did not have to worry about shortcuts at all!

I will just follow that technote and work with Symantec tech support in case I run into issues. Thanks again!

VirgilDobos

Hi Sujith,

Have you started the migration yet? If not, I have some good news for you. Just let me know.

--Virgil