Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration and Multiple servers

The_Boulon
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

Customer is moving away from v11 fo v12 and also migrating his AD and Exchange.

What doe is means? All the small AD domain will be merged in the actual AD Forest and under just one name. All the existing mailboxes will be migrated to the actual Exchange cluster.

It also means that there will be some GB or TB in PST to import (O Joy)!

I have some questions as my head is a little bit empty and doubting about some of these things.

• As far as I can remember, I can move the archives from one VS to another (the from the cluster). They are in sharing within the VSG. SHould not be too much of a problem, right?
  • I do not need to move/recreate the tasks from the old server to the new one, I can leave them there, right again, no?
  • Is the shopping service still needed in v12? Was not starting and deleted it (probably a wrong move). If I need to recreate it, how can I do it.
  • Can I leave all to task there to lighten the Cluster that will be just there for consulting?
  • Can I use the old server just for PST import and archiving?
  • When moving an archive, I get this: Entered a sleep state for 30 minutes. Reason: The source archive is delete-protected. What does it exactly means as I do not have that for other archives.

I know this is a lots of questions but I have some doubts and my head is empty (starting back EV after some months of calm).

Thansk in advance 

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Bonjour!

• As far as I can remember, I can move the archives from one VS to another (the from the cluster). They are in sharing within the VSG. SHould not be too much of a problem, right? -> correct
  • I do not need to move/recreate the tasks from the old server to the new one, I can leave them there, right again, no? New EV server? Do a failover. New Exchange server, needs to be defined in EV (run Deloyment Scanner against new Exchange to see what is missing)
  • Is the shopping service still needed in v12? Was not starting and deleted it (probably a wrong move). If I need to recreate it, how can I do it. Needed, recreate by expanding EV server, select services, rightclick, new service.
  • Can I leave all to task there to lighten the Cluster that will be just there for consulting? yes
  • Can I use the old server just for PST import and archiving? yes, as long as the new server is in the same ev directory
  • When moving an archive, I get this: Entered a sleep state for 30 minutes. Reason: The source archive is delete-protected. What does it exactly means as I do not have that for other archives. Might be retentioncategory preventing deletion, or perhaps there is a DA legal hold on it, or perhaps a setting on the archive (prevent deletion)
Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan,

• I finally recreated the task on the new cluster as the customer do not want too many EV server. So, only one Cluster en basta :) So case closed
  • I deleted the clustered service, not the one in Vault itslef.I even cannot delete that one (greyed out). I need to recreate the cluster service/resource I think.
  • Problem solved, there is an option in the Advanced Tab on the archive itself. They need to be checked "Allow deletion of archived items and or this archive" -> I get a lot of failed items :-s

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help

Olivier

EDIT: Another strange thing I noticed, the admin shares are access denied when I configure the shopping service path.

shopping.png

Idea?

Just a little update.

The cluster resource was easy to recreate:

• Recreate a new Other Resource and choose Enterprise Vault
  • Give him the name like EVClusterName-EnterpriseVaulTxxxService
  • In the registry, go to HLM\Cluster\Resources
  • Expand one of the resource ID and chack if it is a EV Service
  • In your newly created resource expand it to parameters
  • Add ServiceName REG_SZ and the EV Service name as named in the services.msc
  • Add the other 2 values like in other EV Resources

Another problem solved.

Also noticed a lot of errors when moving the archives to another vault store. Customer is asking itslef if the MTU for the iSCSI connection is not the problem. He normally use 9000 and here, it was set to to 1500

Cheers

Olivier