Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of SharePoint, SMTP or Filesystem store from NTFS to dedupe storage

PetrHanz
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi guys

So I 'd like ask you for following idea I have NTFS stores ( enable dedupe + compression). The type of stores are SHP, SMTP journaling, Filesystem. I need move the store to the new dedupe storage with own block level deduplication engine.

1. Move store from EV console doesn"t support for these types of store. ( This move transfers native data in uncompress and undeduplication state)

2. Manual moving of data or migration to second store is possible BUT it has serious limit: Moved data are in compress state and with SIS deduplication. Therefore this process in not suitable because dedupe ratio (on block dedupe storage ) will be very low.

Any solution for this ? Use any third part tool ( merge ) ?

4 REPLIES 4

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi PetrHanz,

If unable to move the data directly then would have to use a migration tool such as Migrate from Veritas.  Interlock-tech or Transvault would be other options.  

Regards,

Patrick 

PetrHanz
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Patrick

Do you mean Veritas Merge1 ? Or other tool ? You write about free tool or about VPS (Veritas Prof Services ) product ?

Hi PetrHanz,

Merge1 is used to archive data into EV and not for EV data migration.  The Migrate utility is used to migrate already archived data.  Typically, this would be something that VPS would scope out to determine time/cost and so forth. 

Regards,

Patrick 

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i have to imagine that when you move the data from NTFS to your new storage that it will get uncompressed and rehydrated. that would be done on the storage side and you can edit the paths to the vault stores if you're changing drive letters or going to a UNC path (NAS) or something different.

As for migration tools, they fall short when dealing with archived SP and FSA data so if you want to go that route, hopefully the bulk of your data is email.