cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MigratorServer processes running, but do not know why

stullier
Level 4

Yesterday afternoon, we restarted our EV services, and shortly after, noted that 10 MigratorServer.exe processes appeared in Task Manager and began to consume CPU resources on one of the two EV servers in our EV site.

I noted that this process has ties to Vault Cache, so I went and check our Desktop Policy and lo and behold, the setting for vault cache was changed from "Let users decide" to "Automatically Enable".

I changed the setting back to "Let users decide", then sync'd all mailboxes and restarted all services.  

The processes started back up once the Storage service was started.

I completed disabled the Vault Cache in the policy, then sync'd all mailboxes and restarted all services.

The processes started back up once the Storage service was started.

I have an open case with Symantec, but so far we cannot identify why the ServerMigrator.exe processes are running, and yet it has been disabled.  Another odd point, is that if we go to http://servername/EnterpriseVault/vcview.aspx, it shows no Active Builds and no Active Downloads.  no Completed Jobs and no Failed Jobs.

The Message Queues are all at 0 at the moment.

All operations appear to be functioning normally outside of this.  No associated errors in the event log.

Anyone here have any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you can dtrace it to find out what it's doing but i wouldnt consider it abnormal by any means

stullier
Level 4

Thanks for replying.

We have run several dtrace's and it appears the system is creating PST files for users to use with the Vault Cache (even though it is disabled).

What is abnormal is that this is not typical behavior for our system.  I know some others use the functionality, but we typically do not.

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Since Vault Cache Content Cache sync's, which are handled by MigratorServer, are requested by the add-in, it is possible that even though you had set these users to 'Let user's decide', they are now set with OVEnabled = 1 (enabled), so the CC will continue to be requested.

There is also the possibility that the end users have not restarted Outlook for the new hidden message change to take effect.

I hope this helps.

Chris