cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed database upgrade from EV9 to EV11

woelki
Level 4

Hey guys,

first of all... I have done something really stupid. But you can guess that from the subject.

We have an old EV9 instance with only one server. The Exchange mailboxes already have been migrated, due to cost reasons the archive have not been migrated. The server is in so to say "read only mode", no more archiving tasks and its only responsibility is the retrieval of already existing archived items.

Now the situation changed and we could start with the onboard move archive process to migrate. The success rate was ok, but not good. So I decided to upgrade the major version. I upgraded to EV10 and everything seemed to be ok. So I went on and installed EV11, no issues in the setup process.

Then I wanted to update the databases with the EVDatabaseUpgrader and it failes with the disturbing message.

Failed to upgrade from schema version [9.43.10.45.0]. Minimum supported product version is [10].

So my EV server installation is now on version 11 and the database on 9.

Is there a smooth way to fix this?

Any help would be highly apreciated.

Kind regards,

woelki

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you have backup from databases from before running the EVdatabaseupgrader for EV11?

If so:

Uninstall EV11

Restore databases

Install EV10, run EVdatabaseupgrader

Verify upgrader executes succesfully.

Upgrade to EV11

If you do not have a backup,

Uninstall EV11

Install EV10, run EVdatabaseupgrader (keep fingers crossed :) )

Upgrade to EV11

Good luck

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA

Do you have backup from databases from before running the EVdatabaseupgrader for EV11?

If so:

Uninstall EV11

Restore databases

Install EV10, run EVdatabaseupgrader

Upgrade to EV11

If you do not have a backup,

Uninstall EV11

Install EV10, run EVdatabaseupgrader (keep fingers crossed :) )

Upgrade to EV11

Good luck

Regards. Gertjan

woelki
Level 4
Hi GertjanA, thanks for the advice, I will try tomorrow. I have a backup from before upgrading to EV10. But what I now wonder about, I thought there is no dedicated EVDatabaseUpgrader for EV10? Regards, woelki

GertjanA

Hi Woelki,

You're correct. When going from 9 to 10, start Directory service first (on 1 server), then when event stating upgrade succeeded is seen, start storage service.

11 has upgraded...

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

woelki
Level 4

Hi again,

now I know why the database upgrade from EV9 to EV10 failed. We have a collation mismatch.
Unfortunately our DB admin is not available until Monday.

I will keep you updated.

regards,

woelki

woelki
Level 4

Hi there,

I have good news, my Vault server is back active again following the steps GertjanA recommended. I uninstalled EV11 and installed EV10.

I selected new site, have chosen the former SQL server and the wizard recognizes that there already is a Directory database. Upgrading to EV10 I had the impression as my SQL admin changed the collation of the EV databases that the EV DB update progress took a bit longer than usual. But finally it worked.

Thanks for your support.

Kind regards,

woelki