cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring Config Utility strange error when trying to update database to version 10

Thehound
Level 3

Hello Once Again,

I've been wrestling with this issue all afternoon and am hoping that someone here will have seen it before and be able to offer some advice.

On Friday I updated out test system from EV9 to EV10, this was ahead of doing the work in the live system sometime soon.

Test system is just 2 EV servers, one Exchange box and an SQL server.

When I try to start the services on the server that has been upgraded to version 10 I get errors :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A program fault has raised an exception.

Exception: Input string was not in a correct format.

Diagnostic:

Type: System.FormatException

Reference:

Command Line: "d:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\MonitoringConfigUtility.exe" /update ctfsql02\ctfsql02 NOSITE "d:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\reports\evomdb_updates.log"

Application Domain: MonitoringConfigUtility.exe

Process Id: 7500

Thread Id: 6140

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've turned off all EV services on the 2nd test server in order to keep that out of the equation and am concentrating on the initial server. I was following the guide, and so after the install had gone to Services and started Admin and Directory service so that it would update the database.

That is where the errors started, if I start the EV services - Admin and Directory, they start and then I get an error 40966 Monitoring Configuration Utility - and the error above and a stack trace.

There is a log - but it is not clear exactly what is happening. One message makes me think it is all fine :

Upgrade of Monitoring database started.
d:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVOMDB_7_Updates.SQL ran successfully.
d:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVOMDB_7_ViewsStoredProcs.SQL ran successfully.
d:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVOMDBRoles.sql ran successfully.
Updated database schema version.
Database: EnterpriseVaultDirectory
Switched database to multi-user mode.
Database: EnterpriseVaultMonitoring
Server finished with the upgrade non-singalling abort & signalling the sync event
Closing sync Event
Upgrade successful
MonitoringConfigApp::Exit Upgrade
Exit code: 20

Then the next message is :

Upgrade/Migration of Monitoring database started.
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.OperationsManager.Config.VersionChecker.GetUpgradeType(Boolean& migrateRequired, String& dbVersion)
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.OperationsManager.Config.DatabaseUpgrader.Upgrade()
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.OperationsManager.Config.MonitoringConfigApp.Upgrade(String[] args)
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.OperationsManager.Config.MonitoringConfigApp.Main(String[] args)
Exit code: 18

So now I am really confused, has the Upgrade/Migration of Monitoring database succeeded or failed?

What is the Input String not in the correct format all about? The only thing I see is that it has NOSITE as a parameter in the command line

Command Line: "d:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\MonitoringConfigUtility.exe" /update ctfsql02\ctfsql02 NOSITE "d:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\reports\evomdb_updates.log"

Application Domain: MonitoringConfigUtility.exe

Currently I have stopped all EV services in the TEST domain, but need to get it back up and running and have EV10 installed this week if possible.

And no I don't have anything that I should have such as a nice backup of the database.

So my question is how do I get the database to update to version 10 and get EV running again? I don't really know where to look for something like this so any help would be really very nice.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, I believe you need to start the services in this order:

EV admin service - Let that fully complete

EV directory service - Let that fully complete and event log will log an event telling you database upgraded successfully and service has started

EV Storage service - Let that fully complete and event log will log an event telling you database upgraded successfully and service has started

EV Indexing service - Let that fully complete

EV task controller service - Let that fully complete

EV Shopping service - Let that fully complete

Was that the order that you started them?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

the EV code and all services on all EV servers need to be upgraded and started in the correct order per the documentation. you cant upgrade only 1 EV server if you have 2 EV servers.

that being said, an issue with the monitoring db is nothing to worry about. it's not critical to back it up and you can always start fresh (your old db is probably full of irrelevant entries anyway.)