cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring Vault Cache synchronization failures

Ram_EUHR
Level 4

We have few users in our environment who are having vault cache synchronization failures. There are various scenarios for these failures. 

In one such scenario, we have seen the failures were temporary (i.e) the next synchronization run completes successfully. 

For example, Whenever there is a failure, we see below event in the log:

09/09/2014 01:12:48 AM
LogName=Application
SourceName=Enterprise Vault
EventCode=9999
EventType=3
Type=Warning
ComputerName=[machine name]
TaskCategory=None
OpCode=Info
RecordNumber=88657
Keywords=Classic

Failed to synchronize Virtual Vault for [username] on [machine name] : (sync initiated: 2014-04-07 16:15:37; sync succeeded: 2013-11-07 23:23:45)

But later when the synchronization completes successfully, we do not have any success event in the log.

Few questions:

- Is there any way to monitor failures only if there are 'Items to be archived' or 'Items to be downloaded'?

- Do we have any method to query these pending items ourselves? (any registry key or in any file). I was looking at the options for querying the same but couldn't find any. Seems Symantec is able to query this information and display it in the Vault Cache Synchronization window, which means that there should be a way for us too.

- Any method to eliminate the false positives (as mentioned above)? 

We already tried the client diagnostics (as described in http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO77190) but it is of little help as it as duplicate information. For example, same machine with the same user has been reported twice, one as a failure and other as a success.

We are planning to setup a monitoring which will report only the genuine failures and eliminate these false positives.

Any help in this regard will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Currently dealing with all this myself, and unfortunately the Items To Archive is held as a hidden MAPI property in the MDC, it is not passed to ClientDiagnostics.aspx , it is not held in the registry.

You can get the number from either the Search Folders -> Items To Archive or via the Tech Info screen, but thats all on the client, theres no way to tell remotely what the user has left to archive.

Really the only thing you have out the box to help you is the ClientDiagnostics.aspx and its a good effort but just isn't good enough in my opinion

For the items to download, you can cross reference the ci vs the td in the clientdiagnostics logs or in the directory database itself, however things like pre-emptive archiving may skew those numbers

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what version of EV are you running? server and client please.

Ram_EUHR
Level 4

Server and client both are running on v10.0.4.1333.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Currently dealing with all this myself, and unfortunately the Items To Archive is held as a hidden MAPI property in the MDC, it is not passed to ClientDiagnostics.aspx , it is not held in the registry.

You can get the number from either the Search Folders -> Items To Archive or via the Tech Info screen, but thats all on the client, theres no way to tell remotely what the user has left to archive.

Really the only thing you have out the box to help you is the ClientDiagnostics.aspx and its a good effort but just isn't good enough in my opinion

For the items to download, you can cross reference the ci vs the td in the clientdiagnostics logs or in the directory database itself, however things like pre-emptive archiving may skew those numbers

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

SVikas
Not applicable
Certified

I have posted a artcile where we were also facing issues with vault sync & every time issue arise, reset of service fixes it. but to  monitor when issues is coming below article applies (workaround)

http://msexchange.me/2014/10/15/monitor-enterprise-vault-vault-cache-syncronization/

Regards

Sukhija Vikas

http://msexchange.me

Ram_EUHR
Level 4

Thanks for the response Jesus and Sukhija.

@Sukhija: We would like to query the client machines instead of the server as the failures that I mentioned are only for few users and not for a large chunk of people. Let me know if there are any ways to query the Client end.

@Jesus: Yes, ClientDiagnostics.aspx wasn’t that helpful in this regard. We are looking to set up a monitoring in place which would let us know the list of users for whom the vault cache synchronization is failing. So, it will be practically impossible to check it from Outlook.

I will look at your tips for Checking the Items to download but we are more interested in the upload failures.

Regards,

Ram Kumar