cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Archive - Permissions Synch

Batmanfail
Level 4

EV8.0 SP4 on Windows 2k3.

Believe me, I've had a few issues with this new Move Archives "feature". Anyhow, I digress... 

I am using Move Archives to move between Directories in different sites.  When the archive has finally finished copying (about 4 coffee's later) it appears at the other site with no permissions set.  Is this normal?  I thought the permissions were copied as part of the process, but maybe this is not the case between EV directories?  Any help appreciated and awarded with a solution ;)

BatManFail (AKA Lezza)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Damon_Kaswell
Level 4
Employee

How the archive moving function works depends on whether you've already created and enabled the appropriate user in the other directory. If the user has not yet been created and enabled for archiving, then you'll experience exactly what you're describing. Then, when you do enable the user, you can select the migrated archive as the new user's archive, and permissions will synchronize automatically.

However, if you enable the user in the other directory for archiving first, you can specify that user's archive as the location to migrate the old archive to. I suspect that will make things a lot easier for you.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Damon_Kaswell
Level 4
Employee

How the archive moving function works depends on whether you've already created and enabled the appropriate user in the other directory. If the user has not yet been created and enabled for archiving, then you'll experience exactly what you're describing. Then, when you do enable the user, you can select the migrated archive as the new user's archive, and permissions will synchronize automatically.

However, if you enable the user in the other directory for archiving first, you can specify that user's archive as the location to migrate the old archive to. I suspect that will make things a lot easier for you.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Data is migrated from the old archive to the new archive. Archive permissions are synchronized as well.

This is from Page 4 on:

ftp://ftp.entsupport.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/351473.pdf

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Page 75 of the Admin guide describes the process. I can imagine that if the user is not yet provisioned, or synced, the permissions are not set (yet).

What happens if you sync the user? Do permissions get set?

Regards. Gertjan

Batmanfail
Level 4

Thanks all for your replies (Damon, Michel and Gertjan ;)

I personally feel that the documentation that MichelZ points to and the Admin Guide are incorrect and need updarting to reflect the scenario when moving between directories. 

Damon is right in so far as his statement, and so I'll award him the solution for this, but the documentation had confused me no-end;

"However, if you enable the user in the other directory for archiving first, you can specify that user's archive as the location to migrate the old archive to. I suspect that will make things a lot easier for you."

I Disabled the user at source first, then provisioned the other side, and moved to the existing archive (all went well).  I stupidly thought that moving to a new archive would copy permissions too as per doc 351473 :(

Oh well, learning as I go...

Batmanfail
Level 4

Just noticed that if you move to an existing archive (as above), you MUST allow for the archiving task to run (either manual or scheduled) in order for shortcut processing to take place, otherwise you're stuck at "Waiting for shorcut update" in the Move Archive Status.  Really dumb if you don't use shortcuts (as we have virtual vault)...

So, either way, the Move Archive process requires alot of manual intervention and/or waiting around for scheduled tasks to complete, which is not ideal for me.