Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move EV 10 Partition Questions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All

I am about to move some EV Partitions from a UNC path to local drives and have seen the usual tech note : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35742  which is fine and straight forward (even though the method uses SQL scripts and the video edits the tables manually - which i prefer!)

The system i am working on is EV 10.0.3 with the rollup package applied

But I have a couple of questions about the process and about an another column in the SQL Table which i hope someone can clarify

1. If says to make sure that the Watchfile count is zero first. Is this just best practice (as always data and sql should be backed up first) or is there something deeper here. All partitions being moved are closed and all data has been replicated to new volumes using robocopy so wondering if there is something i need to worry about here - the backups do not use archive bits only trigger files here.

2. Looking at the PartitionEntry table i see the PartitionRootPath column that needs to be edited - so here i change my current UNC paths to the local drives - i am happy with that, the way it has always been so nice and straight forward! But when i scroll along further I also see a RemotePartitionRootPath.

Here my current UNC entries are the same as in the first column but the local ones use a coded type of unc path - as an example:

J:\Enterprise Vault\Journal Vault Store \Ptn13 shows as \\myevserver\EVPartition01ce41d197d370f0$

My question is does EV change the RemotePartitionPath entry after I have edited the PartitionRootPath one?

Thanks all for any advice - nice to be asking questions rather than answering them!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6

do not set it as a local path, because its how the other EV Servers get files from remote vault stores
by the looks of it, someone has changed that path before because it should just be

\\EVServer\EVPartitionXX[GUID]$\

You should never need to update that path, if it doesnt exist, EV will create it for you
you can blank it out and ev will build it off of the the server alias etc

So yeah, i cannot stress this enough, no matter what the other thread says, when moving partitions you should never have to do anything with that column, ever

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JesusWept3
Level 6
EV will create the hidden shares if it doesn't exist so don't worry about that As for Watchfile, it should be empty or at least updated to the new path because it has a full relative path for each item it's looking for So basically when you archive an item, the DVS file gets created and it adds it to the Watchfile table, but it will use the full path So if you go from like I:\ to j:\ and don't update Watchfile, you will get a ton of errors that I:\ doesn't exist etc

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ok - fine on the watch file then - can add a trigger file to make sure they are all cleared down

On the RemotePartitionRootPath issue I am concerend because it does already have entries which I am not editing - will EV change all of those value when I update the PartitonRootPath?

These are the columns that exist - the tech note says to edit just the first one - i was worried the second one would not automaticlly update when the Storage Service re-starts

1.jpg

2.jpg

What do you think?

JesusWept3
Level 6
If the share doesn't exist, EV will create it automatically

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See also https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/migrating-ev89-partition-ntfs-network-share

There it says that if it fails to update automatically, you need to do it within SQL...

Regards. Gertjan

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Thanks both ... but if i had to do it manually, to stay with the EV10 convention, which looks like \\myevserver\EVPartition01ce41d197d370f0$ how on earth do i know what it should be.

I am thinking that if it doesn't change it to either:

1. just set it as a local path or

2. to delete the UNC values from the RemotePartitionRootPath table so that EV creates the correct values upon service re-start after the move?

I am tempted with option 2. but maybe do the move, start the service and see what happens first?

JesusWept3
Level 6

do not set it as a local path, because its how the other EV Servers get files from remote vault stores
by the looks of it, someone has changed that path before because it should just be

\\EVServer\EVPartitionXX[GUID]$\

You should never need to update that path, if it doesnt exist, EV will create it for you
you can blank it out and ev will build it off of the the server alias etc

So yeah, i cannot stress this enough, no matter what the other thread says, when moving partitions you should never have to do anything with that column, ever

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK

I dont believe it has ever been changed manually (as far as i know anyway)

The server was migrated to new hardware from V9 to V10 using the Migration Wizard - that all went fine and I did monitor the event logs and saw the Storage Service creating new shares when it started, but only created them for the Vault Stores held on local disk already - it did not register doing anything with the others.

So looks like it would be best to blank the UNC path ones in that column and let EV create the correct values?

Thanks again - ready to go!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - All sorted

I felt it safest initially to leave the Remote Entry alone and just changed the PartitionRootPath

Upon Starting the Storage Service this popped up in the EV events viewer:

A new Partition Network Share was created.
PartitionEntry: 1F8A99A2C643D874B984AF388D1A922011q10000chevsite
DirectoryPath: G:\Enterprise Vault Store\Ptn4
RemotePath: \\CHAR2\EVPartition01ce4282a2ab9aa0$

A check of the table reveals that the RemotePartitionRootPath had been changed to that value

Panic over! All sorted!

I do like to be careful when doing this sort of work  - thanks all for your help

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

JW3 - thanks for all of your help

Tony, thanks for doing what i should have done Friday but didn't get time to do - glad to see it was taken care of for me when i finally had chance to come and do it this morning!

Thanks again for everyones help in sorting this out