cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move EV to a different server......

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi
I need to move an EV 11.0.1 server to a new machine. I also need to upgrade to EV 12 but my question\problem is around the current EV server.
This is a single EV server running on Windows 2008 which does file archiving only. The problem that I think I have is that the EV applicaiton has been installed on a server that is also hosting some cifs shares and it doesn't appear to have an EV alias configured.
I can't create a new alias using the existing EV server name and to point this towards the new EV server due to the clients that need to resolve this name to the original server to connect to the CIFS shares.
There is only a single file server that is being archived - can this be reconfigured with a newly created alias that points towards the new EV server and will this still allow existing placeholders to be opened?

So just to summarise what I think I need to do here:
Create a dns alias called evserver01
Configure dns alias to point to current ev server
Run fsautil on all placeholders to update db entries to use alias name instead of actual server name
Migrate ev to new server and update dns alias to now point to new server.

The only bit I don't know is if I can use fsautil to update the existing placeholders to use the alias name? Is that possible with fsautil? If so what would the command be please?

Just found the below - can I really just put an entry in the host table???

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100010689

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CadenL

Hi

Many thanks for your thoughts. I couldn't make it work with the host file and so used the FSAUtility to recreate the placeholders - which is ok but throws errors every now and again.

I was also able to work without an EV alias by being a little creative with local host files.

thanks again

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA

Hello,

I do not know FSA very well, but the article does make sense. As the links include the EV servername, the first place the server checks is the hostsfile, then dns. Having the ev server name there (with the proper ip) should indeed work.

Regards. Gertjan

CadenL

Hi

Many thanks for your thoughts. I couldn't make it work with the host file and so used the FSAUtility to recreate the placeholders - which is ok but throws errors every now and again.

I was also able to work without an EV alias by being a little creative with local host files.

thanks again