cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Exchange 2003 mailbox to new server with Exchange 2007

RichardF14
Level 3

Can someone tell me where I can find info on upgrading an Exchange 2003 site with EV for Exchange 8 sp3 to Exchange 2007 and if there is anything that needs to be done with users archives?
We also plan to move Enterprise vault to a new windows 2008 server. and upgrade it to version 9.0.
do we need to install this new ev server inside the current ev directory or can we make a new one.
What will the best way to do this.

Richard.
4 REPLIES 4

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Move the users between exchanges with the following TechNote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH116684&actp=search&viewlocale=es_ES&searchid=1285590863083

For the hardware upgrade I would suggest you do a data only DR, which is covered in the admin guide. My preference would be to upgrade in place then failover to new hardware.

RichardF14
Level 3

thanks for this.

But do i need to move the Exchange 2003 user mailbox first to the 2007 server with the exchange server tools ?

Enable this moved mailbox on the new ev server for archiving.

And move his archive to the new ev server with the move archive wizard.

(if we do a clean ev installation)

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Three phase operation...

1)  Move your mailboxes to the new Exchange server.  There is nothing complicated about this move, just create an archiving task for the new Ex2007 server. 

2)  Two choices:

a)  Build out the new server with Win8 and you existing version of EV, do a DR (admin guide) failover to the new server then upgrade to V9

or

b)  Upgrade existing EV server to V9, build out new server with Win8 and EV9 and do a DR failover to the new server.

It will minimize your time and effort if everything is done within the existing EV directory.  No need to use the migrate archive tool. 

RichardF14
Level 3

is it also possible to install the new ev server inside the current ev directory and move all the task to the new one.

And remove the old ev server ?