cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move VaultStores from one LUN to another.

Nate_D1
Level 6

Hi All,

We have vault version 10.0.1.1171 and we have several LUNs presented to the server, each is a mail store and journal store for X amount of time. We need to change out the underlying SAN architecture, which means moving some data around behind the scenes. This is a basic version of my proposed plan, please let me know what you think!

Shut down all vault services

Use the SAN technology to create a clone of the LUN.

Noting the drive letter/path, remove the old LUN and attach the new LUN

Give it the same drive letter/path

Start all vault services

Will this be 'invisible' to vault? I would like this to be as seamless as possible.

Thanks

-Nate

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I think you should be good with that idea.  There are some shares underneath storage (Windows shares), but I am fairly sure that the Storage Service will recreate those, if they are missing after your planned steps.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Nate,

Creating a LUN clone would be a invisible process for Enterprise Vault, as you said. For the storage service is a "local" drive, thus, it wouldn't see any difference. However, as Rob mentioned, Enterprise Vault creates Windows shares to access the partitions. Just to be in the safe side, before removing the drives from Windows, take a look at the shares pointing to the partitions on that drive, write down the name, permissions, etc and recreate the shares after mounting the new LUN.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I think you should be good with that idea.  There are some shares underneath storage (Windows shares), but I am fairly sure that the Storage Service will recreate those, if they are missing after your planned steps.

Working for cloudficient.com

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Nate,

Creating a LUN clone would be a invisible process for Enterprise Vault, as you said. For the storage service is a "local" drive, thus, it wouldn't see any difference. However, as Rob mentioned, Enterprise Vault creates Windows shares to access the partitions. Just to be in the safe side, before removing the drives from Windows, take a look at the shares pointing to the partitions on that drive, write down the name, permissions, etc and recreate the shares after mounting the new LUN.

I hope this helps.

Nate_D1
Level 6

Thanks guys, good responses. I appreciate it.