Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move a single FSA archive to another vault store

Jakob
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

i thougt it´s a simple thing - but i didn´t find out how to do the following:

How can i move a single file archive / archive point to another vault store. We have opened another vault store on the the same ev server to fullfill some customer requirements. I wan´t to move all archives to this new store. Because i didn´t found a move archive feature for File archives i tried to recall the placeholders, removed the archive point and deleted the archive target volume. After that i´ve recreated the archive tartget volume and pointed it to the new store. But when i try to archive the files again to the new store i mentioned that no files have been generated on the new vault store.

I think that FSAUtility is not working for this scenario..

So... how to handle it? Because we are in the starting phase it´s not a big deal to recall all files once.

EV11.0.1 / Server 2012 R2

Thank you

Jakob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

as you discovered, there's no simple move process for an FSA archive.

as for the partition type, i dont think it makes a difference. however, if you want to change the partition type setting you'll have to go into sql. here's an old forum post which explained what to do (yours would be the other way around but all the details are in there.) https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/changing-vault-store-partition-type

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AndrewB

have a look at the examples in Utilities.pdf. looks like the -m switch is what you need here

Jakob
Level 5
Partner

Hi Andrew,

with this fsautility option i have to move the shortcut-files to another location on the file server... I was looking for a solution to move just the archived files to another store. And what about the files which don´t have shortcuts in the file system (old versions of files etc.)

Maybe another way is to change the vault store partition root path (robocopy & edit sql partitionentry table etc.). The old partition is a netapp storage and the new one is simple ntfs store. Do you know if there will come up some problems when i do it like this?

Jakob

AndrewB

i see what you're saying but you can't change the vault store of an archive that way. a vault store is a logical association (database, fingerprint, retention and classification info, etc) whereas a vault store partition is the actual disk or drive where the savesets (archived files) are stored.

since you said you're just getting started so your best bet is to recall the files, delete the entries in EV, and then recreate the archive(s) in the new vault store.

Jakob
Level 5
Partner

Hi Andrew,

why can´t i change the root of the store partition (mybe i just used the wrong terms)? In general i want to move the archived files from one expansive store to a cheaper one. I would do it like it´s written in this articke: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH35742 . But the question is if it´s a problem that the old storage is a netapp and the new one is a simple ntfs store.

Jakob

AndrewB

could simply be the terminology. if all you want to do is move the vault store *partition* to another drive or whatever, then here's a technote and it's rather straightforward. http://www.veritas.com/docs/000028294

Jakob
Level 5
Partner

Initialy i wanted to move FSA archives from one partition to another. Do you know if this is possible? Now i´ve copied the content of one partition to the other on the way Andrew mentioned.

The partition is still signed as NetApp Storage but the partition is local NTFS Storage which is assigned to the vault server. Do you know if this will make problems?

AndrewB

as you discovered, there's no simple move process for an FSA archive.

as for the partition type, i dont think it makes a difference. however, if you want to change the partition type setting you'll have to go into sql. here's an old forum post which explained what to do (yours would be the other way around but all the details are in there.) https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/changing-vault-store-partition-type

Jakob
Level 5
Partner

Thank you for your help Andrew!