cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move individual Index directories

ph1llies05
Level 4

I've been reading TECH35596 that discuss "How to move Enterprise Vault (EV) indexes that are managed by the same EV server".  I'm wondering can I move 2 or 3 index directories to a new location to free up space on the current partition which currently has all 8 index directories?  I'm pretty sure I can, but wanted to make sure.

I forgot to add, I'm running EV8 SP5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yup, simply put the indexing service in backup mode.
Copy the directories from one location to another and make sure it all copied across ok.
Then in the Enterprise Vault Directory database, open up the IndexRootPathEntry table and update the paths from there.

After you've done that, just restart all the services, come out of backup mode, ensure that indexing is working ok and once you're satisfied, delete the contents from the original location

The only thing that becomes tricky is if you have many EV Servers and the same paths like

EVServer1 - E:\Index1 , E:\Index2
EVServer2 - E:\Index1 , E:\Index2
EVServer3 - E:\Index1 , E:\Index2

If you look in the IndexRootPathEntry table you will need to find the proper ones to move

So one query you could use would be something like

UPDATE IndexRootPathEntry
SET IndexRootPath = 'F:\Indexes\Index2'
WHERE IndexRootPath = 'E:\Indexes\Index2'
  AND IndexServiceEntryId = 
      (SELECT ISE.ServiceEntryId
       FROM   IndexingServiceEntry ISE, 
              ComputerEntry CE
       WHERE  CE.ComputerEntryId = ISE.ComputerEntryId
         AND  CE.ComputerName = 'evserver1') 

So the above query will update the Index Root Path to be F:\Indexes\Index2 instead of using the E:\ Drive but it will only update that index location for 'evserver1'

If you don't do that, then you may end up with EVServer2 looking for its indexes in the wrong location

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6

Are you talking about index volumes or root paths?
So are you talking about moving like E:\Index1\ to F:\Index1
or are you talking about moving E:\Index1\[archiveID]\ to F:\Index2\[archiveID]\ ?

ph1llies05
Level 4

Hey JesusWept3,

thanks for the quick reply.  I was talking about moving the complete index1, index2, and maybe index3 directory to a new location to free up space.

As you stated E:\index1 to F:\index1

JesusWept3
Level 6

Yup, simply put the indexing service in backup mode.
Copy the directories from one location to another and make sure it all copied across ok.
Then in the Enterprise Vault Directory database, open up the IndexRootPathEntry table and update the paths from there.

After you've done that, just restart all the services, come out of backup mode, ensure that indexing is working ok and once you're satisfied, delete the contents from the original location

The only thing that becomes tricky is if you have many EV Servers and the same paths like

EVServer1 - E:\Index1 , E:\Index2
EVServer2 - E:\Index1 , E:\Index2
EVServer3 - E:\Index1 , E:\Index2

If you look in the IndexRootPathEntry table you will need to find the proper ones to move

So one query you could use would be something like

UPDATE IndexRootPathEntry
SET IndexRootPath = 'F:\Indexes\Index2'
WHERE IndexRootPath = 'E:\Indexes\Index2'
  AND IndexServiceEntryId = 
      (SELECT ISE.ServiceEntryId
       FROM   IndexingServiceEntry ISE, 
              ComputerEntry CE
       WHERE  CE.ComputerEntryId = ISE.ComputerEntryId
         AND  CE.ComputerName = 'evserver1') 

So the above query will update the Index Root Path to be F:\Indexes\Index2 instead of using the E:\ Drive but it will only update that index location for 'evserver1'

If you don't do that, then you may end up with EVServer2 looking for its indexes in the wrong location

ph1llies05
Level 4

That's awesome.  Again thanks for the quick reply.