cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Drive to another file server

BEI
Level 5

I have previously moved archive partition from one to another on same server as per Symantec best practice.

However, would anybody know if there is an easier way to move a drive with placeholders and data to another server besides copying the data across?

The drive in question is connected to the file server with iScsi.

I was hoping I could reconnect the drive on a new file server and change some reg settings etc.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

If you're talking about moving data which has been archived by EV FSA, the reason you need to use FSAUtil and you can't simply copy the placeholders as-is is because EV needs to update the archive point information on the backend to reflect the new file server names, paths, shares, etc.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB

If you're talking about moving data which has been archived by EV FSA, the reason you need to use FSAUtil and you can't simply copy the placeholders as-is is because EV needs to update the archive point information on the backend to reflect the new file server names, paths, shares, etc.

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Are you trying to move data to a file server with a different name? Or you are planning to refresh your file server and use the same name?

--Virgil

BEI
Level 5

Hi VirgilDobos,

I'm trying to move it to a new server (2012R2) from (2008R2) as I would like to split the Reserch and D to D workloads. The research raw data  would be on the new server.

Cheers

AndrewB

i thought i understood your question and provided guidance based on the details you mentioned in your post. did you have any questions?

BEI
Level 5

Hi AndrewB

I guess I have to move the data as per best practice. It will take about a week to do so.

thanks for your help.

Cheers