cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving EV data to different server

ksnook
Level 1

We have some of our data in another country. Owing to export regulations we cannot host the actual data in our country but are allowed to host the Indexes and we have proposed using a remote file share for the partition to "mount" the data from the other country. We would then close that EV server down.

I have a few questions about this approach.

FIrstly, does anyone have a procedure for moving the indexes. We are using version 11 and I cannot find any details.

Secondly, has anyone used the remote file share functionality. I'm interested to know when EV clients work against this set up are they directed to the remote share or does EV proxy the data i.e. is the EV client getting it's data from the EV server or from the share directly.

Thirdly, what about moving the data? Presumably, we have to copy the indexes but also change the PartitionEntry table, VaultStore Entry etc (we have done this a few times when we have moved data but only on the same server). Again, any procedure or advice will be most useful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Also if the indexes can't be housed outside of the country, does that not mean the storage (DVS/DVSSP/DVSCC files) should be moved as well?

That being said, if you have at the moment say
evServer1.london-uk.myCompany.com housing the Storage and indexes.

But you wanted to move just the index locations to say

\\fileServer1.berline-de.myCompany.com\

It would be really bad to have your indexing server connect to the index files and locations across a WAN, I would expect there to be a lot of issues, but really the biggest being the speed.

If you absolutely had to do it, you would have at least

evServer1.london-uk.myCompany.com -- Vault Stores and Storage
evServer2.berlin-de.myCompany.com -- Indexes

But even then , you would introduce cross WAN traffic, so as items get stored in EV, the Index server would have to load each of those pieces to add it to the index, so its possible you would introduce GB's worth of WAN traffic each night indexing newly archived items.

Really what you may have to do is create a new Vault Store Group and Vault Store in berlin and then move the german archives from UK to berlin so the UK EV Servers house the indexes and archived email in the UK

And the german emails and indexes get stored locally in germany.

Either way, your best bet maybe to look in to a symantec partner who can analyze your email traffic, archived content, WAN capabilities and traffic as well as the laws that pertain to you and give you the best solution possible

But either way, remotely hosting just the index data is a really bad idea

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What do you mean you "would close that EV server down"?

Can you explain your EV architecture a bit more?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Also if the indexes can't be housed outside of the country, does that not mean the storage (DVS/DVSSP/DVSCC files) should be moved as well?

That being said, if you have at the moment say
evServer1.london-uk.myCompany.com housing the Storage and indexes.

But you wanted to move just the index locations to say

\\fileServer1.berline-de.myCompany.com\

It would be really bad to have your indexing server connect to the index files and locations across a WAN, I would expect there to be a lot of issues, but really the biggest being the speed.

If you absolutely had to do it, you would have at least

evServer1.london-uk.myCompany.com -- Vault Stores and Storage
evServer2.berlin-de.myCompany.com -- Indexes

But even then , you would introduce cross WAN traffic, so as items get stored in EV, the Index server would have to load each of those pieces to add it to the index, so its possible you would introduce GB's worth of WAN traffic each night indexing newly archived items.

Really what you may have to do is create a new Vault Store Group and Vault Store in berlin and then move the german archives from UK to berlin so the UK EV Servers house the indexes and archived email in the UK

And the german emails and indexes get stored locally in germany.

Either way, your best bet maybe to look in to a symantec partner who can analyze your email traffic, archived content, WAN capabilities and traffic as well as the laws that pertain to you and give you the best solution possible

But either way, remotely hosting just the index data is a really bad idea

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146