cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving EV dbases from Sql 2000 to new server with 2005

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner

I was wondering if anyone has any insight on moving these dbases between two servers and different sql versions.  This is admist a 6.x upgrade to 8.0 as well.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
By the way, just added that to the list of registry keys which might come in handy in the future: http://www.enterprisevaultfaq.com/wiki/EV_Registry_Settings_(Index) ;)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Moving from SQL 2000 to 2005 is not much of an issue

I have done so on my environment

The one thing you need to watch for is when you connect the database to the new sql 2005 server make sure you set the compatability level to 90

This can be found under the properties of the database in the Options page

It is also a good idea to enable full text indexing and reindex the database as it will help with performance

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner

Moving from SQL 2000 to 2005 is not much of an issue

I have done so on my environment

The one thing you need to watch for is when you connect the database to the new sql 2005 server make sure you set the compatability level to 90

This can be found under the properties of the database in the Options page

It is also a good idea to enable full text indexing and reindex the database as it will help with performance

Isn't there something I need to do in order to change the server name within the vault dbase tables?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Sorry

I made the assumption that the new server would have the same name as the old server

Actually keeping the server names the same makes life so much easier

If you want to modify the server name then you need to make changes in the EnterpriseVault Directory database

In the table VaultStoreEntry there is a field called SQLServer. You need to update this field to the name of the new SQL server. You will need to do this for every vault which will have it's database moved to the new server

As always please remember to back everything up before making any such changes.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Since you seem to want to have the new SQL server with a different name. The i recommend not detaching and reattaching but backup the database to file then restore it on the other server. This way you always keep the old SQL server operational as a quick way to rollback to the old environment

Here is a tech note on all the steps

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273272.htm

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner

Just the directory dbase?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

If you read the tech note the steps are

Move the databases.

There is a reg key to be changed on each EV server (this tells them which server is the directory server

update the SQL table vis SQL or via the VAC your choice on this one. My preference is in SQL

Ensure that all of the System DSN connections listed in the ODBC Data Source Administrator relating to Enterprise Vault reference the correct Enterprise Vault server.

If you have an EVaudit database then you need to modify the system dsn for the Enterprisevaultdirectory database

It is all outlined in the tech note.. BUT

I highly recommend that you make life easy for yourself. Bring the new SQL server online with the same name as the old server. If you do this the transition is seemless and you will have no issues like fat-fingering the table enteries or anything else like that and you have no changes to make on the EV servers.

If you want to do it the way I recommend then what you need to do is

1: stop all ev services on all ev servers

2: backup all your SQL databases to .bak files

3: move the bak files to the new server

4: power off old SQL server

5: rename new server to the same name as old server

6: install SQL on new server

7: restore databsese from .bak files so as databases are restored with the same database name on the new server

8: set the compatability level on the databases

9: Starting with your Enterprise Vault Directory server (normally the first EV server you installed) bring the EV services back online

10: Check to make sure everything is running ok..then you are done

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Liam and CGuinn

We're investigating this also.

I learned from our DBA there is something called alias. Unfortunately, I do not have the exact paper with me (CET is 21:35) but will have tomorrow morning. Instead of having to adjust the registry and databases, you add an alias to each vault server, which points to the new SQL server. Kind of like dns alias.

EV now goes to SQL1

New SQL2008 machine will be called SQL2

Create Alias on EV server: SQL1 = SQL2

Move db's (using (as Liam said) backup/restore just in case.

Check EV after starting.

I ran this by Symantec Support, and according to them this indeed should work. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to test, as our test-environment did not allow for 2 different sql versions. I'll try on VMWare somwhere in the next few weeks. The upgrade plan will be done in august/sept, when SP2 for 8 is out. (hopefully, fingers crossed and all that.

Gertjan

ps. Will post tomorrow when @ work the document

Regards. Gertjan

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6

I have assisted a few customers in their upgrade to SQL 2005 and generally sent them the following information and I have had a 100% success rate with it so this will be a good starting point

Technotes around SQL 2005:-

1.    Make sure that the VSA is a local administrator on all nodes of the cluster

2.    Ensure that you create a SQL login for the VSA and that this has at least db_datareader role assigned to all vault related databases. (In my SQL cluster I just created I gave it dbo access to all databases) It also needs the db_creator role for when you need to create databases in the future.

3.    What is VERY important is that the SQL 2005 server that you are going to has the same server collation than the SQL server you are coming from. Also check that all of the system databases have the same collation. If not then you will have problems when upgrading next. This is the last technote referenced above.

4.    Also when you move the databases ensure the ODBC DSN points to the new SQL server

5.    Lastly when you have moved the databases ensure that the compatibility level of your SQL databases are at 90 not 80. This is on the properties of each database in the options section

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

Hello Liam and CGuinn

We're investigating this also.

I learned from our DBA there is something called alias. Unfortunately, I do not have the exact paper with me (CET is 21:35) but will have tomorrow morning. Instead of having to adjust the registry and databases, you add an alias to each vault server, which points to the new SQL server. Kind of like dns alias.

EV now goes to SQL1

New SQL2008 machine will be called SQL2

Create Alias on EV server: SQL1 = SQL2

Move db's (using (as Liam said) backup/restore just in case.

Check EV after starting.

I ran this by Symantec Support, and according to them this indeed should work. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to test, as our test-environment did not allow for 2 different sql versions. I'll try on VMWare somwhere in the next few weeks. The upgrade plan will be done in august/sept, when SP2 for 8 is out. (hopefully, fingers crossed and all that.

Gertjan

ps. Will post tomorrow when @ work the document

Gertjan,

I have heard of this, I have never tried it but the concept is sound. The reason why i would not use this is that it adds more support overhead. The more areas you need to support the more chances of something breaking and the harder it is to troubleshoot. That why i recommended to CQuinn to keep the server names the same when the SQL servers are switched that way it is seemless changeover

GertjanA

Hello all,

I agree with Liam about the support overhead, but... (as always.)

This will be welldocumented, and the EV-admins and SQL admins will be aware. It will be written down in the Technical and Functional Design documents, so I foresee no support problems on that end.

I'd personally prefered using the offical Symantec Method, but this option has been ok'ed by support, and is in our environment easier to implement and maintain.

Thanks,

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner
i was looking at the data sources for my servers and don't see any references to ev.  should there be some?  Reason I'm asking , that one of the steps are to change the sql server names ont he dsn's.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
The ODBC settings is a SystemDSN and there should be an entry on each of your EV servers that points to each of your Vault Store Databases

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner
but i didn't see any references to ev.

TonySterling
You are looking on the EV servers, right?

Also, do your EV services start?  any events in the EV application log?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Logon to your Ev servers with your service account, not that it matters what account you use as the settings are SystemDSN but to be sure logon using the service account

Open your ODBC console

Click on START, ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS, DATA SOURCES (ODBC)

When the ODBC console opens the SystemDSN is the second tab on the console

In there you should see a line irem for each of your EV Vault store databases.

If you dont see these then you have other issues that need addressing

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner
i didn't see anything under system dsn on the ev server, I manually added the directory and vault store in there.  when i start ev the directory service is erroring out, it;s trying to connecto the directory service on old sql server.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Is this your live environment?

When did you do the move to the new SQL server?

Did you make the changes in the Enterprise Vault Directory database

In the table VaultStoreEntry there is a field called SQLServer. You need to update this field to the name of the new SQL server. You will need to do this for every vault which will have it's database moved to the new server

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner

Is this your live environment?

When did you do the move to the new SQL server?

Did you make the changes in the Enterprise Vault Directory database

Liam Finn
http://www.computerusersolutions.com
http://www.enterprisevaultfaq.com

I did....it has the correct entry

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
what error are you getting in the event log