cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving EV dbases from Sql 2000 to new server with 2005

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner

I was wondering if anyone has any insight on moving these dbases between two servers and different sql versions.  This is admist a 6.x upgrade to 8.0 as well.

Thanks,

34 REPLIES 34

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

http://support.veritas.com/docs/317660

Event ID 13326: Unable to create connection, when accessing the Enterprise Vault database.

Details:
An Event ID 13326 may appear if there is a problem with a Data Source Name (DSN).  If the Microsoft Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) System DSN tab is missing the database data source referenced in the event id the DSN will need to be created.

Type: Warning
Event: 13326
Source: Enterprise Vault
Description: Unable to create connection EnterpriseVaultDirectory

Solution:
1. On the Enterprise Vault Server, click Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, Data Sources (ODBC).  

2. In the ODBC Data Source Administrator, click the System DSN tab.

3. Click on the Add button.

4. On the next window, scroll down and select SQL Server and click Finish.

5. On the Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window, enter EnterpriseVaultDirectory in the Name field.

6. Enter Enterprise Vault Configuration Database in the description field.

7. In the Server field, click on the arrow and select the SQL server that Enterprise Vault uses from the drop down list.

8. Click the Next button.

9. Authentication section,
a. Click on the button next to With SQL Server authentication using a login ID and password entered by the user, this will make the Login and Password fields accessible.
b. Enter the Vault Admin Account name in the Login ID field and the Vault Admin password in the Password field.
c. Go back up and click on the button for With Windows NT authentication using the network login ID, this will gray out the login fields, but keep the Vault Admin information.
d. Make sure the box is checked which says Connect to SQL Server to obtain default settings for the additional configuration options and click Next.

10. Put a check mark in the box for the Change the default database to: field and select the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database from the drop down list. If nothing shows in this drop down box, if there is not a SQL connection that will need to be corrected before continuing. Make sure the boxes labeled Use ANSI quoted identifiers and Use ANSI nulls... have check marks in them and click Next.

11. Click Finish and click the Test Data Source button to run the connection test.

12. If anything other than TESTS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY appears in the box, go back and try to correct the problem and run the test again until it is successful.

13. Click OK twice to close the windows.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Also, what is the value of the SQL Server name in this registry key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Directory\DirectoryService
Change the name to the new SQL server and start the directory service.

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner

Is this your live environment?

When did you do the move to the new SQL server?

Did you make the changes in the Enterprise Vault Directory database

In the table VaultStoreEntry there is a field called SQLServer. You need to update this field to the name of the new SQL server. You will need to do this for every vault which will have it's database moved to the new server

Liam Finn
http://www.computerusersolutions.com
http://www.enterprisevaultfaq.com

I did....it has the correct entry

there isn't a field call sql server in the vault store entry only in the storageservice entry

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
The most important one is the reg key on the ev servers, for the directory database: 3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Directory\Directory Service. Double-click the SQLServer Name string value. 4. Enter the name of the new SQL server in the value data field and click OK. (From http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273272.htm)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner

Also, what is the value of the SQL Server name in this registry key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Directory\DirectoryService
Change the name to the new SQL server and start the directory service.

Tony Sterling

Bluesource

Whats weird is I don't have that key should I create it?

MichelZ
Level 6
Is this a 64-bit EV Server we're talking about???

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner

Is this a 64-bit EV Server we're talking about???

Enterprise Vault FAQ - www.enterprisevaultfaq.com
Enterprise Vault Tools - www.evtools.net
vcare Infosystems AG - www.vcare-it.com

yea this is 64 bit.

MichelZ
Level 6
Then the reg key is under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node

etc.

Cheers

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner

Then the reg key is under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node

etc.

Cheers

Enterprise Vault FAQ - www.enterprisevaultfaq.com
Enterprise Vault Tools - www.evtools.net
vcare Infosystems AG - www.vcare-it.com

do you mind sharing with me where you found that info or did you just do a searc, i can't find any reference to that key.  That fixed it by the way thank you!

MichelZ
Level 6
Hmm. Don't know if that is mentioned somewhere. It's something I've learned here in the forums, I think ;) But, good point. They should include it in documentation / knowledgebase

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
So is your system up and running now?

All operational

MichelZ
Level 6
Just saw that it's at least mentioned in the "Registry_Values.pdf" in the EV Documentation: In a 64-bit environment, 32-bit applications like Enterprise Vault read from a different part of the registry than they do in 32-bit Windows. The following table shows the subkeys from which Enterprise Vault reads, depending on the version of Windows. 32-bit Windows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \KVS \Enterprise Vault 64-bit Windows HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Wow6432Node \KVS \Enterprise Vault The rest of this guide shows the 32-bit subkey only. Cheers Michel

MichelZ
Level 6
By the way, just added that to the list of registry keys which might come in handy in the future: http://www.enterprisevaultfaq.com/wiki/EV_Registry_Settings_(Index) ;)

cguinn75
Level 4
Partner
This migration was in my lab environment before I do this at a customer site it won't be 64 bit but 32 bit which shouldn't be a problem. 

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Seeing as you are happy with the answers you received pick whomever gave you your solution (MichelZ) and mark the topic as solved so we dont need to keep watching it for updates