Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving EV installation

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

I've got a request to move a EV installation from a physical server in to VMware. That in it self is no problem. But, installation is also wanted to be moved from C:\ default to D:\ is this even possible?
And if is, anyone have any sugestions?
4 REPLIES 4

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
The best way I think to do this is to install EV on the VM and do a data only restore of EV.

Moving the install to drive D would mean so many registry changes it is unreasonable.

Capture the VM image of the EV server. Uninstall EV from the VM
Reinstall EV so that the data is on D drive instead of C.
Perform Data only recovery steps to relink the install to the databases.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
If Im to sumary up steps for this.

1 shut down all EV services on fysical server, sett services to manuall.
2 backup SQL, indexes, and EV installation
3 Capture VM, start up inn VMware.
4 Unsinstall EV on VM, reinstall to new drive.
5 Recover indexes, EV install.

What Im a bit worried about is what happens to SQL, wont a uninstall og EV delete SQL DB's? If yes it should just be to import SQL DB from backup.

Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Uninstalling EV does not delete the databases. It just removes EV from the server it is installed on.

As always you must make a backup of everything before making changes on your EV environment including your SQL

I'm also assuming that your SQL is on a different server to the EV server.

1 shut down all EV services on fysical server, sett services to manuall.
2 backup SQL, indexes, and EV installation
3 Capture VM, start up inn VMware.
4 Unsinstall EV on VM, reinstall to new drive.
5 Recover indexes, EV install.

The computerrootpath will need to be modified in the Enterprisevaultdirectory database to point to where EV is installed normally set to c:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault

You will also have to update the index locations and collections locations if they too are being moved.

My recommendation is have support do it with you to be sure you dont missing anything before starting your EV services

Sergio_Dias
Level 4
If the SQL, indexes and storage are on a separated server you can use the update services location. The indexes could also be rebuild (will take a time). Search for build blocks to know more about this.

I would sugest to ask support about the best procedure.